Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grammar books for new N.American ESL teachers about do CELTA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Texts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
travelgoddess

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Grammar books for new N.American ESL teachers about do CELTA Reply with quote

Am doing a CELTA course in Vietnam in a few weeks and have been checking out English Grammar reference books, but none have struck me as portable and as a good reference guide.

There were some recs from the school I am taking CELTA at, but they are all books from the UK that have been hard to get a hold of in the US.

Any recs on grammar ref books that you picked up in the US would, simply, rock!

Much appreciated in advance,
D
www.travelgoddess.net
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the smallest grammars you can get are the Oxford Pocket ones: Swan's Oxford Pocket Basic English Usage and Thomson & Martinet's Oxford Pocket English Grammar (these were mentioned over on the international forums recently, which is why I remember them. They're the same dinky size as the Oxford Learner's Pocket Dictionary, which you might've seen on your travels). I just looked and they are available through amazon.com at least. Personally though, I'd prefer to take a larger and doubtless somewhat more comprehensive grammar with me (see links below for some recommendations)...but hey, if luggage space and general weight/size/portability really is an issue, then you could try getting something on CD-ROM (e.g. the Collins COBUILD on CD-ROM pack, or the slightly later Collins COBUILD III, both of which include COBUILD's 3rd - better than their 4th! - edition dictionary, a thesarus, their English Grammar, their Usage Guide and a 5-million word Wordbank drawn from American as well as British sources; or how about the recent Cambridge Grammar of English by Carter & McCarthy, which includes a CD-ROM with the entire book in searchable format, plus audio for every example sentence (all of which are clearly based in their re-recording on authentic originals)). Don't forget also that a lot of grammatical info (alongside many useful examples) on e.g. the use of articles, or the functions of a particular modal verb, can be gleaned from advanced learner dictionaries such as those from Longman, Macmillan, Oxford and Cambridge (and all are available with increasingly innovative accompanying CD-ROMs).

You could also (if you haven't done so already) try contacting your CELTA training center and asking what grammar books are widely available locally in Vietnam and/or if there is a teachers' library there that you can use.

Offhand I can't think of any decent comprehensive reference grammars from American publishers (although there are quite a few ranges of grammar practice books, such as Azar's, not that I'm particularly recommending hers by mentioning them!); and this isn't me trying to sound overtly patriotic (I'm a Brit), I'm simply stating a fact (of ESL, or rather, EFL, publishing).

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/teacher/viewtopic.php?t=6035
http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/teacher/viewtopic.php?t=2288
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Texts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: