Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching powerpoint presentation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Business English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monseul

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Teaching powerpoint presentation Reply with quote

Hello,
I need to teach business people how to give Powerpoint Presentations. Does anybody know of resources or have any ideas that I can use to teach giving presentations to non-native English speakers?

I have absolutely no idea where to start Sad

Thanks in advance.
sbourque

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have to teach them how to USE PowerPoint (something they should learn in a computer or info technology class, not ESP) or how to use it effectively in giving presentations (font size, amount of material on a slide, be sure to check it works ahead of time etc.)? I'm sure there are Web sites that give general info on using visual aids in presentations. My students already know how to use PP--my job is to make them get rid of the tricksy graphics and weird ever-changing fonts, and NOT READ the text.
monseul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I didn't need to mention powerpoint.

Basically, I need to teach ESL students how to give presentations in general. I guess that getting down to it, they need to be comfortable with public speaking and have a good grasp on the language. But, does anyone have ideas as to how to format a class?
hy2958

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching powerpoint presentation Reply with quote

I taught my students how to conduct a presentation with PowerPoint. I referred to a book, "Communicating for Results" by Cheryl Hamilton and Cordell Parker. The book has two chapters explaining informative presentations and persuasive presentations.

I found very often, the students wrote many words in each slide and read an article, instead of delivering a speech. You may start to help students identify what are key points and what are supporting points and how to connect them.
monseul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how many sessions do you think would be good?

what about this for my first class

1 - watch videos of a good presenter / bad presenter
2 - discuss differences between both videos
3 - introduce sentences / vocab for beginning a presentation
eslweb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Teaching Presentations material... Reply with quote

I have some material on my Website, I find a good place to start with this
Depending on the level of your users, I'd suggest starting with pronunciation work: http://www.jamesabela.co.uk/beginner/Pronunciation.html

Then you can move onto more advanced skills such as sound scripting:
http://www.jamesabela.co.uk/advanced/soundscripting.html
And using speech writing techniques. (Resource on the same page)

For a good example of an English learner presenting via video, check out:
http://www.jamesabela.co.uk/bus/consreport/index.html

At present I haven't got around to writing specific PowerPoint skills, but when I get time, I'll put some more up...

James
http://www.jamesabela.co.uk/
eslweb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: PowerPoint material Reply with quote

I had a bit of spare time today, so I was able to put together a guide to PowerPoint on my Website: http://www.jamesabela.co.uk/bus/PowerPoint.html

I'll put more resources up as I check through them, but I think it's a good start....

James
emile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, they need to do at least five practice presentations before they look polished.

These practice presentations could include fun ones like Show n Tell (yes, it is suitable for adults, too), and the 'table thumping' presentation, where they have to thump the table when they talk (to show they are passionate about the topic).

my site: www.roadtogrammar.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Business English All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: