how do I decorate a preschool room?

<b> Forum for teachers working with preschool children </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

ma-bell

how do I decorate a preschool room?

Post by ma-bell » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:56 am

I've been assigned to teach preschool this coming year. I'll be starting at a brand new school and they want me to set up my classroom and buy any necessary materials. (they will pay for everything). The problem is I don't know what a preschool needs!
Any ideas on what I should do to decorate? What sort of materials will I need or want?
thank you

EFLwithlittleones

Classroom prep

Post by EFLwithlittleones » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:23 am

If you plan the first set of lessons in advance you will then know what you require. Try researching on line for lesson ideas. Here are some of the things me and my students use:

feltip pens, brushes, powder paint, pencils, coloured pencils, A4 white paper, coloured paper, shiny paper, newspaper, card, cardboard, frieze paper, selotape, pva glue, string

word and picture playing cards (home made) word and picture card tiles (home made)

computer, printer, copier for making worksheets

beads and string, dry pasta

whiteboard/whiteboard markers, puppet(s)

magazines, assorted toys, wooden blocks, dolls, soft toys, picture and story books, assembly toys (like lego)

Actually the list is endless. You'll inevitably find yourself without something and have to get it at short notice. But at least then you won't have bought something you end up never using. You could encourage the parents to bring things in perhaps linking to specific activities.

Round the walls you could have some charts and posters relating English to the world.

If it is possible why not visit other kindergartens, nurseries or play groups to see what they do?

musica5

Post by musica5 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:56 am

A Large wall calendar is a great idea. Puzzles, playdough, homecorner things such as little cups, plates, pretend food, teapot, etc, dress up clothes,

I have a preschool and you can look at our program and some pictures of the kids at work/play.
http://members.shaw.ca/magicpuddlepreschool
Its not and esl preschool but it might be of interest to you. We believe in imaginative play as well as cognitive development.
Pam
http://www.pamseslclassroom.com for free childrens finger rhymes, action songs etc.