I need all the help I can get

<b> Forum for the discussion of everything ESP </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

analeigh

I need all the help I can get

Post by analeigh » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:05 pm

I'm a nearly brand-new teacher (I got my CELTA over the summer.) I took a job in a school where the teachers create their own curriculum from scratch (no textbooks given, the school discourages using one textbook.) I am teaching two theme-based class. One is an advanced class "English for Everyday Life." The other is an intermediate class on Media studies. Both classes are meant to focus on listening and speaking skills. I'm half way through the semester and I'm struggling to figure out what to do next.

So far in my advanced class we've discussed: a)giving directions in new york b)social customs in the U.S. and new york c) the American diet d)gentrification e)job interview skills. I have six more classes with them.
THe advanced class is pretty advanced (directions, job interview skills, social customs- this was all pretty much review that bored most of them.) I don't know what to do with them now and I have to come up with all the material by myself. I'm also supposed to have them complete a final project that allows me to evaluate their progress in the course.

Any ideas? This class is killing me.

Thanks
ac

Mister Dean

Post by Mister Dean » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:47 pm

Hello,

Let's see. It depends on a lot of factors. I guess that you could get them to write a "guide book- for tourists in New York" and get them to write different sections - about cuisine, places to see etc etc. They could include photos etc etc.

Depending on their ages, you could get them to do posters- "I love New York because..."

Verbs- used in the context of the theme chose-

Write a letter to the mayor of New York complaining about pollution and environmental issues.

Try to focus it mainly on what they would like to do- you could practise directions- drawing maps on the blackboard and they have to tell you how to get there.

Best of luck.
Dean

analeigh

thanks, but more questions

Post by analeigh » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:53 pm

Thanks, that helps some. But they're all pretty sophisticated speakers and they get bored quickly with things they already know about. I'm not sure what to do with the rest of the classes to tie in the material I've already covered. The focus on the class is on listening and speaking, so I need to come up with something for them to do that lets them utilize those skills.

Thanks for your ideas, though. They're much appreciated.

-AC