Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A kid who won`t speak!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Preschool Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baxter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: A kid who won`t speak! Reply with quote

I`m teaching english to 2 german kids (2 and 5) - the lessons are really for the 5 year old and his sister just sits in. He knows some words but refuses to speak them to me, I`ve spent a total of 9 hours with him (in 90 minute) blocks. How can I get him to speak? The lessons are at his house so there are many of his toys around, so it`s not like I can entice him with something because so many other toys are within reach. He is incredibly stubborn - I`m at the stage where I want to take a chocolate bar in and start eating it and bribe him into saying `chocolate` to get some!. I have not done any professional University training in this respect and would appreciate any help. Thanks Confused
ASturgis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Stubborn in any language! Reply with quote

I work with preschool kids, too, and there is no more stubborn age, but I do love them. You could try enticing him with some toy cars and getting him to crash them into each other making sounds like bam! crash! or whatever car accidents sound like in German. Just getting him to utter anything is probably a start. Then he could phone the police using a toy telephone, etc. He might forget he doesn't want to talk! Good luck, and don't discount the chocolate approach!
shannonsensei

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you've only had 6 lessons with him. this may not be enough time for him to feel comfortable around you yet. i wouldn't worry about it too much. i've had kids not speak for much longer than this. Very Happy
however, i understand the feeling like you're talking to yourself. perhaps you can try playing games where he can demonstrate english knowledge without actually having to speak. for example, have him touch the flashcard that you tell him to touch. or ask him to give you the red car, put the blue block on top. that sort of thing.
you can also try using a puppet. sometimes kids have an easier time talking to a puppet than they do to a teacher.
love,
shannon
diudiusummer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Silent period Reply with quote

There is a silent period before children open their mouth to speak. Children tend to listen to adults and keep silent at the beginning. They are inputting the language materials to get ready to output. Then when are ready to speak, they will open their mouths.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Preschool Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: