Attention: ESL teachers in China!

<b> Forum for ESL/EFL teachers working with secondary school students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Greeneuva

Attention: ESL teachers in China!

Post by Greeneuva » Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:30 am

To all ESL teachers in China,

First: a brief introduction. My name is Jamie Greene and I’m currently living in Changde, Hunan teaching at the Vocational & Technical College here. I’m originally from the States and am still relatively close to the beginning of my teaching stint. Currently, along with a professor from the University of Hawaii, I’m at work on a book manuscript dealing with foreign teachers’ (particularly American) experiences in China.

I’m sending out this call for as many unique experiences, stories, thoughts, and philosophies as I can collect to include in our introductory overview of English teaching on the Mainland. I know our experiences are as vast as the country and I’d like to hear what you have to share, from the mundane to the fantastic, heartbreaking to rewarding.

I’m asking that you write up an email (don’t worry about length, though longer generally is better) covering the following basics as a starting point. Please, feel free to elaborate at your pleasure on anything.

In addition to a brief biographical history (so I can get some idea of the different lives and experiences which are all now dealing with similar challenges, frustrations, and joys), some of the topics I’d like you to think about are your experiences with:
·shifting cultures between America and China
·past travels overseas and to the “developing world”
·being thrust into the spotlight and constant center of attention
·any occasions of “anti-Americanism,” anti-foreigner sentiment in general, or threat of violence
·your conception of China before you came vs. the reality once here
·how you think your students perceive foreigners and the West, America/Americans in particular
·any particularly funny, enlightening, moving, or incredible story from your life and travels in China that you think is indicative of the world we all face on a daily basis, and is so different from where most of us call “home”

I look forward to hearing from you soon and invite any questions, comments, suggestions, etc that you may have. Thanks!!

Jamie Greene
[email protected]