Strict Parenting style influences how you teach?

<b> Forum for teachers working with preschool children </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Tsang

Strict Parenting style influences how you teach?

Post by Tsang » Sat May 21, 2011 2:25 am

I'm a new teacher and working in such a multicultural school.

I'm curious about if a 'strict parenting style' influences how children behave at school. Because Chinese parents seem to focus on academic and musical excellence and they may be too busy studying.

Question.
Do you think different parenting styles may causes children to be a passive/ active learns?

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Sun May 22, 2011 1:39 pm

It is so individual. Some children thrive by being challenged. Some children know their parents love them and are being "strict" for their own good. Some parents who are being strict do it in a fun and challenging way so the children love learning. Some children are disappointed by the school because it takes forever to learn something and many hours are spent in boring moments waiting for others to finish an assignment or waiting for things to be passed, or waiting for some child who doesn't understand, etc. Some children don't want to do more work at school because they have been working so hard at home. Some children act out when the teacher is not as strict as their parents and some don't have controls on their own behaviour because their parents usually prove that. Some kids just push to see how far they can go with the teacher. You need to get to know your students individually and find out what is going on at home and then work with the students to help them fit in the classroom.

The worst thing might be the parent interview when the parent doesn't think you are being strict enough in the classroom. You have to know why you do what you do and be able to convince the parent of your expertise. School is not just about learning facts, IMHO but helping children become citizens and full rounded human beings. There are so many opportunities for the students to interact with one another and learn group skills, play with their friends and so on. These are things a parent can't do at home unless they are home schooling the children and meeting with other parents to prove group experiences.

I do encourage these parents to home school their children though or if they have money to put their children in a specialty school. They are rarely satisfied with public education and it makes it difficult for the child, parent and teacher if they are dissatisfied.

silencedobetter

Post by silencedobetter » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:33 am

I was reading about a similar topic recently. on how the learning culture affect the students' learning habit. I hope the links below help:

http://www.ascd.org/publications/educat ... icans.aspx

http://www.ascd.org/publications/educat ... icans.aspx

https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/art ... eader-card