Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Italian pronunciation problems and how to deal with them

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Pronunciation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richs23

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Italian pronunciation problems and how to deal with them Reply with quote

Hello- I need help with working on pronunciation generally. Shocked
I teach in italy so if anyone has tips on italian pronunciation probs specifically that would be great..

Also can anyone can recommend a decent "how to teach" pronunciation book- that would be good.. I remember one on my teaching course that had sections on each nationality and dealing with their specific probs that was pretty good.

thanks rich
mrandmrsjohnqsmith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>

Teaching American English Pronunciation by Peter Avery and Susan Ehrlich (Oxford University Press 1992) has sections on a wide variety of nationalities and their specific English pronunciation problems.

A great deal of evidence exists supporting the idea that good pronunciation is best achieved when training in listening comes before training in pronunciation.

Like many, I prefer an operative definition of "good pronunciation" that involves understandability, as opposed to closeness to "native" speech.

Try not to discourage your students' Italian accents too much; Italian accents are cool!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Pronunciation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: