Italian pronunciation problems and how to deal with them

<b>Forum for ideas on how to teach pronunciation </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

richs23

Italian pronunciation problems and how to deal with them

Post by richs23 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:18 am

Hello- I need help with working on pronunciation generally. :shock:
I teach in italy so if anyone has tips on italian pronunciation probs specifically that would be great..

Also can anyone can recommend a decent "how to teach" pronunciation book- that would be good.. I remember one on my teaching course that had sections on each nationality and dealing with their specific probs that was pretty good.

thanks rich

mrandmrsjohnqsmith

Post by mrandmrsjohnqsmith » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:07 am

>

Teaching American English Pronunciation by Peter Avery and Susan Ehrlich (Oxford University Press 1992) has sections on a wide variety of nationalities and their specific English pronunciation problems.

A great deal of evidence exists supporting the idea that good pronunciation is best achieved when training in listening comes before training in pronunciation.

Like many, I prefer an operative definition of "good pronunciation" that involves understandability, as opposed to closeness to "native" speech.

Try not to discourage your students' Italian accents too much; Italian accents are cool!