Tell me what you want for CALL

<b> Forum for the discussion on how to use computers and technology in the ESL/EFL classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Matty

Tell me what you want for CALL

Post by Matty » Tue May 08, 2007 11:45 am

Hi guys!

Yeah, tell me what you want, what you really, really want... okay, I'll stop.

I'm an EFL teacher with 7 years full time experience under my belt and have worked as a senior teacher and as a director of studies.

I'm also a Flash designer and developer, which means I can do quite a bit with computers with regards to multi-media content rich, interactive eLearning applications. I'm not talking about the extremely limited "Learning Interaction" components that a lot of people seem to be using nowadays.

Basically, what I want from you, is to know what you want a computer to do for your students.

In my experience computers can offer the following:

# They quite effectively replace the old cassette based "Language Labs" - for students to do intensive listening activities.

# They're useful for checking individual students' progress and giving them feedback.

# They're good for getting around the students' "embarassment factor" - they can make mistakes and nobody will know!

# The structure of papers 1, 3 and 4 of the Cambridge exams (FCE, CAE and CPE) can be easily reproduced and have the added bonus of giving the student immediate feedback.

# Just about any kind of media can be fully controlled by the students or they can be given as much or as little control as you like (i.e. audio playback or video - number of times they can listen, pause/play, with/without subtitles, supportive vocabulary and images, etc.

In short, the possibilities are enormous!

So, the question is... What do you want?