Teaching unmotivated students

<b> Forum for ESL/EFL teachers working with secondary school students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

denise

Post by denise » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:06 am

This just shatterred my impression that Japanese students were very focused. Anyhow, do you think that this is the same lack of motivation which some Canadian students exhibit when they have to take French in school.? I know many students who can't wait to take their only required Gr. 9 French course and end their second language education. It is only a motivated few who actually take French after Gr. 9.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:06 pm

trubadour wrote:
Machjo wrote: ... an address from Winston Churchill to parliament, and the story of the tower of Babel in Ogden's Basic English.
Yours is a fascinating post and example to many, I'm sure. I, my self, have no knowledge of those moments quoted above. Please enlighten me.
I know this reply is coming a decade late but I posted some stuff about Basic English here http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic ... 74#1228274 and also at the top of the page preceding that.

Defining vocabularies meanwhile (Machjo) are those lists of two to three thousand essential or reasonably basic words that learner dictionaries limit their definitions to when explaining other words (or if there is unavoidably a word in the definition from beyond those 2-3000, that word is then printed in capital letters to make the possible need for cross-referencing more obvious).