teaching 2yr olds...any suggestions?

<b> Forum for teachers working with preschool children </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

amw_12

Post by amw_12 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:41 pm

So I just got this job that starts tomorrow working with 2yr olds, I have never worked with them yet, I've only worked with ages 5-12 so i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on games, activities or any suggestions that would help me out,thanks.
-Alicia

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:31 pm

I hope you read all the posts in this forum, too.

amw_12

Post by amw_12 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:16 am

yes, I have read some and they are already helping a bit, thanks.

EFLwithlittleones

Post by EFLwithlittleones » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:49 pm

Difficult to give any support without some information about your class. Answers to the following questions might help anyone who might want to help you:

How many children are in the group? Are you in a room equipped for toddlers? Do you have any support? Are the parents present? Has the school provided you with objectives? Are there any restrictions on using L1?

I know you've just started but I hope things are going okay so far.

amw_12

Post by amw_12 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:35 pm

I have 7 children in the group, I am in a room equipped for toodlers and there is me and 1 other girl in this class. Also the parents are not present. I am doing ok so far, I just need some ideas on maybe crafts or activities for them.

mollybaade

Post by mollybaade » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:03 am

Sounds repetative, but use lots of songs and games!

Even if the kids cannot understand the lyrics to the song, listening to the music and doing some actions along with it are great. My two year olds [in a Chinese kindergarten] have been learning body parts. "Head and shoulders" works great, as does the "hokey pokey."

If you have flash cards with pictures, lay them on the ground and say the word [book!] and have them run to the flashcard on the ground, pick it up, and say "book!" Or lay the cards on the ground in some sort of sequence, hold their hand, and have them say the word and then hop over the card. It's simple and my kids love it.

Sit in a circle and roll a ball around. Pass it to a kid and then have them look at a flashcard or prop and say the word.

Good luck!

musica5

Post by musica5 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:52 pm

YOu can find the songs mentioned above at http://www.pamseslclassroom.com

This site specializes in finger rhymes, nursery rhymes and aciton songs for Early Childhood so you can listen to an get the lyrics for loads of appropriate material to use with toddlers.

I hope to get some new songs such as Round and Round the Garden etc on there soon.

http://www.pamseslclassroom.com FREE 17 song CD. ESL rhymes, action songs and singing games. Lyrics, worksheets etc. Great music for ESL kids. Engage your younger students.