Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vocabulary lessons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Video in the Classroom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jennied

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Vocabulary lessons Reply with quote

Hello. I am a new ESL teacher. I have been assigned 4 classes this semester and am feeling a bit overwhelmed. For my conversation class I thought a good weekly homework assignment would be to ask the students to write atleast 3 words they encountered throughout the week that they did not understand. I thought this was a good idea until I realized I actually was having trouble explaining words like "disappeared"and "assume" to beginner speakers(adults). What can I do to make this homework assignment effective? Should I abandon it completely?
Luke Zimmermann

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learning new vocabulary is always a good idea but you encountered a very common problem: how do you explain complicated concepts in simple English? To tell you the truth, I think it is often impossible. So my simple solution is to use a bilingual dictionary.

English is not my first language and I remember being in English class at high school with a teacher who used English only. We were not allowed to translate. He regularly spent 5 to 10 minutes explaining a difficult word and in the end I would say I understood even if I didn't. I would then go home and look it up in an English-Dutch dictionary. I really didn't, and still don't, understand why I couldn't use a bilingual dictionary in the first place. It would have saved many hours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Video in the Classroom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: