some questions about teaching ESL abroad

<b> Forum for teachers interested in discussing ESL, multiculturalism and teaching </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Casey

some questions about teaching ESL abroad

Post by Casey » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:41 pm

I'm a senior in college thinking about teaching ESL abroad sometime after graduation. I'm also writing a paper for my senior project, which I will probably try to publish in a study abroad magazine, about how to go about finding an ESL abroad position. I have a few questions for people who have already taught abroad, if anyone would be so kind as to answer them, and if you could tell me if you give me permission to quote you, please let me know. Most of the questions are of a more personal nature than authoritative.

1) Why did you want to teach ESL abroad in the first place?

2) Where and when did you teach? And for how long?

3) Are/were you TEFL certified? And how necessary do you think it is to get certified?

4) Were you placed through a program? Or did you find a position independently?

5) How realistic is it to leave nothing behind financially or in terms of assets in the States (ie: as a college student with no savings) with the intention of returning several years later?

If your responses are long, or if you'd like to expand on anything else about teaching ESL abroad that might be helpful, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]. Thank you for your time.