Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Language & Culture

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Refugee Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RozannaB

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Language & Culture Reply with quote

Language and culture are closely linked. When teaching English, I think that is important to recognize that you may also be teaching the customs, traditions, values, and norms of that particular culture. In learning another language, you will most certainly take something from the culture of those that speak the language. For example, there are minor and major differences in the various dialects of the Arabic language and some of those differences are directly related to the culture of the region where that dialect is spoken. When I become an ESL teacher, I will be sure to recognize the include activities and strategies that will make a connection between language and culture. At the same time, I would also have to make sure the material in my lessons are not offensive to any of my students. I will have to be aware of the culture of my students. Does anyone have any good ideas for activities that bridge language and culture while being culturally sensitive at the same time? Smile
lek72

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Language and Culture Reply with quote

Yes, I agree that as educators, especially ESL teachers, we need design lesson plans that capitalize on students' cultural groups and identities. We need to understand our students cultures so that we can teach them more effectively. Since language and culture are connected, we can use activities that help the students learn English as well as maintain their culture and L1.

Some of the examples are as follow: blogging on online (this activity allows them to freely write their ideas and thoughts in both L1 and L2) and culture presentation (this activity allows the students to research about their cultures and to present them to their classmates/teachers--SWBAT use the 4 language domains: speaking, listening, reading, and writing--and you will be able to learn more about your students' cultural backgrounds)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Refugee Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: