Course / trainer evaluation

<b> Forum for those teaching business English </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

strider

Course / trainer evaluation

Post by strider » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:41 pm

My employer has asked me to start using assessment forms at the end of a training course. The forms have to cover what the student thinks about the training, progress and , gulp, the trainer.

However, it's up to me to design the forms. So, I'm trying to find some examples in order to get a few ideas. I have thought about using 'boxes' so students can show their degree of satisfaction with a tick. I also think it could be better for them if the form is in their native language.

Can anyone point me to an example online?

And what do you think of my ideas?

Thanks in advance.

keith

Post by keith » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:43 am

I think your idea of using the native language is a good one. I usually use a two sided form, one side in English, the other in their native language, so that higher levels can use the English version.

A grading system is also a good idea, ranging from 1 for poor, to 5 for excellent.

A feedback form should probably cover all aspects of the student's experience, from their initial contact with the school (reception, customer service) right through to their evaluation of you!

Here are a few example points your students could evaluate, depending on what your employer is looking for:

Customer service:

Information and help from Sales staff
After sales service

The class:

The classrooms and equipment
The textbooks
The sytem of testing

The teacher:

Presentation (attitude, dress)
Use of teaching tools to help your learning
Ability to explain grammar and vocab
Overall impression of teaching

I would keep it fairly short and sweet like this - students normally do not want to have to answer 30 questions!

Hope this helps.

Keith
http://www.eslbase.com

eslweb

Surveys

Post by eslweb » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:12 am

I always find that the best feedback comes from qualitative questions, such as: How would you improve the course? What did you like about the course? (Especially if they can do it in their own language)

These are much more useful than the standard ratings, because at my old school a lot of students just ticked according to how much they liked the teacher.

James

strider

Post by strider » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:03 am

Thanks for your responses keith and eslweb. I appreciate your ideas and will incorporate them in my evaluations (I particularly like the tip about a two-sided form, English on one side and the student's language on the other).

I did some research on the web concerning this question, and I found some excellent info regarding the 'theory' of evaluations. Here's a link if anyone is interested.

http://www.businessballs.com/kirkpatric ... nmodel.htm