Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Books for Speaking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Intensive English Programs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scriby

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: Books for Speaking Reply with quote

I am looking for good books for speaking classes for small children and very low level adults.
Any ideas or suggestions?
WisconsinMom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Books for Speaking Reply with quote

scriby wrote:
I am looking for good books for speaking classes for small children and very low level adults.
Any ideas or suggestions?

I would love some ideas too. I'm afraid of getting books that are geared toward children...but I need my student to read some simple stories and then we can talk about them.
Eric18

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Simple Conversation Books Reply with quote

Good question!

On the lower levels, I found Conversation Book 1 works for adult students. The book provides a list of 20-25 key words, a handful of questions, and some basic illustrations. Designed for immigrants to the United States, the text focuses on practical "life skills" such as going to a pharmacy, shopping at a supermarket, attending class, etc. Another option for low-intermediate speakers might be "Talking Your Head Off" which provides 10-12 questions on common conversation topics.

My own book, designed for advanced ESL students, includes over 1400 questions, 250 proverbs, and more than 500 quotations to encourage student conversation. You can find some free sample chapters at www.compellingconversations.com .

In the United States, speaking skills often get neglected. Partly this comes from a focus on standardized test scores in adult education programs. It's far easier to test passive skills like reading and listening comprehension than writing and speaking. Class sizes is another factor limiting the creation of enough quality conversation books for ESL students.

Good luck.

Ask more. Know more. Speak more.
Create Compelling Conversations.
Visit www.CompellingConversations.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Intensive English Programs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: