Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

seeking ideas about the style of exam?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Business English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hy2958

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: seeking ideas about the style of exam? Reply with quote

I am preparing a two-hour examination paper for my Chinese MBA students to test their English proficiency after one-year learning. Instead of using the traditional items like vocabulary, reading comprehension, writing etc.., I want to use some other ways (games?) so that students will have fun and I will tell not only their English proficiency but their thinking patterns as well.

I'd appreciate any suggestion.
sbourque

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be a bit careful about giving a test which is considerably different in format from what students expect. They'll be stressed already, and change is often perceived as scary, not fun.

You could have them read a short situation and give their opinions on what would be the best outcome.

Examples:
a boss asks an assistant to stay late on Friday to complete a rush project; the assistant has promised his mother that he'll be at her birthday party

a salesman is trying to get a big order from a foreign manufacturer, and the VP of purchasing for the foreign company hints that if they can "cooperate"--ie if the salesman pays a bribe--the order will be given

a company discovers that its product is dangerous and may cause injury, but it will cost a lot of money to recall all the products; should it recall the products or wait and see if any injuries occur?

Or you could put humor into a true-false or multiple choice format (harder to write, easier to grade!)
walrus

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hy2958, what are you testing? If it's oral skills, I have a set of topics that can be adapted to any class. However, I use the basic format as pair work in 80% of my classes so they aren't doing anything different - only that I listen instead of a peer.

I would suggest no really different things. Test what is taught. Exams are traumatic enough without surprises.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Business English All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: