Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Optimum Lesson/Session Length

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Business English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ric

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Optimum Lesson/Session Length Reply with quote

Hi, New to teaching English however 9 years as corporate trainer. I have a request to teach English to a company group for six hours on a Saturdays. I think six is too long and three would be better particularly from a student fatigue and retention/learning point of view. Anyone have an opinion on optimum lesson times/length for a single weekly session or research on "knowledge retention" related to amount of information given at one time. From my corporate training experience information retention is usually poor due to information overload and student's 'afternoon fatigue' regardless of how much fun the 'game' was. Ric
eslweb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Ideal Timings for Workshops Reply with quote

I agree that there is no way you are going to get business people to study for six solid hours on a Saturday... However most of the courses I teach say 6 hours, but this tends not to be the case. Imagine the following: 2 x 15 min breaks and 1 hour for lunch. That has already reduced your teaching time down to 4 and a half hours.

Now it maybe the case that you are expected to do 6 hours of actual teaching and yes I have taught those courses. In these circumstances, I would leave the last session for doing a group project or something much more student centred.

The last time I looked at the research, it seemed to suggest that the maximum effective learning time is about 4 hours per day. (Sorry I can't remember the sources, but I am sure another fine teacher can fill in the details.)

James

P.S. You are welcome to use my business materials to help your class, available at: http://www.jamesabela.co.uk/bus/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Business English All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: