MP3 Recording

<b> Forum for the discussion on how to use computers and technology in the ESL/EFL classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

phil_b

MP3 Recording

Post by phil_b » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:17 am

I'm looking to pick your brains on something.....

I've been experimenting with recording my students in MP3 format and I want to take it a bit further.

I used either Audacity running on a PC or Creative Zen Nano Plus with an external mic plugged through an old Minidisc player to give it enough power.

I'd like to get a few more MP3 recorders, because I think that they would be better for the classroom dynamic - especially if they are simple enough for students to be able to use and I wondered if any one here knows of any good models

These are the features that I would want:

-Mic (ideally) or line-in jack to plug in an external microphone. Many MP3 players have internal 'dictaphone' mics, but I find that using the mics in this way can be a little bit distracting - I'd rather have an external mic that's easier for learners to ignore.

-MP3 recording - just because it's the most convenient format to use. Having said that I'm sure I'd be able to convert .wav files to MP3

-Fairly cheap - Ideally under £50/U$100 - the capacity doesn't have to be huge, I've been using a 256MB version of the Zen Nano and that's plenty of capacity for what I want it for.

For what it's worth the Zen Nano seems to be pretty good - the only problem is that it doesn't have a mic jack, only a line-in one. This means that it really needs a powered mic to work. I tried using a camcorder mic that we had at work, but it wasn't powerful enough. My 'temporary' solution has been to plug a normal, unpowered, mic into an old minidisc recorder that I've got - and then to plug this into the Zen Nano. It works OK, it's just fiddly and a bit more complicated. I paid about £25 (U$50) for the Zen Nano (256MB)

If anyone knows of any good powered microphones that aren't too expensive please post details of those up here as well,

Thanks

Matty

Post by Matty » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:44 pm

Most small pen-style MP3 players include a dicta-phone function of some kind. I think what you're asking for - high quality, external mics, etc. is professional level equipment and you'll have to pay a respective price for it.

I've done a lot of recording in my time and good powered mics (electret condenser type) are going to be well out of your price range.

I think Creative's gear is very respectable and works well enough for classroom use. Beware of players with a built in HD-Drive as they can produce some unpleasant high-pitched noise in a built-in mic.

Creative's MP3 codec is also very good.

Hope this helps.