Trilingual, Quadrilingual and so on.......

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

bolton

Trilingual, Quadrilingual and so on.......

Post by bolton » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:32 am

I wonder if anyone has any views on how many languages a child can learn before their progress in all of them seems to suffer. It seems that academics think that any amount is possible, but it doesn't seem to make much sense to me. There must come a point where the time you spend on each is just too small.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:39 pm

But when you need it, it comes back quickly if you learn it as a child or even as an adult. When my students come to visit me from the countries where I have taught, it takes about a day and a half and then I am back in the grove again. I can't remember all the words I want to speak but understand most of what they say.

bolton

Post by bolton » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:14 pm

Yes, but it seems to me that many people have a tough time raising the level of their language to a high academic level. Surely it would harm you if your input was much less because you had many different kind of input.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:06 pm

I never got passed the communication stage in any other language than English so don't know.

But I would never let it hold me back from facilitating my child to learn as many languages as possible. You learn what you need to learn. if you need to perform at an academic level in one of the languages you learned to communicate in, you would do it.

I think I am missing your point somehow. What are you really worried about?