multi-level different ages

<b> Forum for teachers working with preschool children </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

daroz

multi-level different ages

Post by daroz » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:43 pm

Seeking advice on how to handle a rather tough class. The ages range from 3-5, and the levels range from no English, some English, and advanced. There are about 8 children 1 hr/ 3 days a week. I have no helper, and limited resources (whatever I bring). The class works for about half an hour and then falls apart because the advanced and starters get bored. The mid-level students seem okay. I feel like if I had a helper all would be fine. Is this even possible?

shelleyvernon

Your multi-level preschool class

Post by shelleyvernon » Sun May 25, 2008 12:01 pm

Well hello there,

Your post is old so you might not need help now! However someone else may read this post and my reply may help them.

For multi-level classes like yours I do have an idea and a resource that is perfect for this situation - well nearly perfect, because it's pretty hard mixing age three with age five.

So my suggestion is to use plays. As you have a small group this is the perfect set up. You give more lines with more complex language to the better students and give the beginners very simple words or lines, and have them saying the lines together if necessary.

This is outlined in more detail on my page on using plays to teach ESL.

In particular on that page, about half way down, is a free play called "Ready Steady Go!" Why don't you check that one out first and see how it fits with your students.

Here's the link, but read the tips below first:

http://www.teachingenglishgames.com/eslplays.htm

A handy feature of my plays is that they are written for use with any number of students from only 1 to 15. This means you are not stuck if someone does not show up one day, or stuck finding a play that has just the number of parts for your number of pupils.

Basically the form is that you pre-teach the main vocab in the play first using games. Also teach some of the key sentences. In your case it's OK if the three year olds/beginners just understand what is going on.

Then you can introduce the play and I do this without giving out the script but all orally - however it's personal - indeed with your age group it's much better to do it all by ear and rehearse for fifteen minutes of each hourly lesson.

The better students will be stimulated by being able to use more language and by the prospect of putting on a show to parents.

The younger students will improve faster through osmosis and will enjoy being in on the act.

All the best
Shelley
http://www.teachingenglishgames.com/eslplays.htm