1 on 1 ESL for a 5 year old

<b> Forum for teachers working with preschool children </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

monseul

1 on 1 ESL for a 5 year old

Post by monseul » Tue May 08, 2007 3:40 am

Hello,

Does anybody have any ideas as to how to teach a five-year-old English. I was hired for a job that's once a week for one hour. It starts tomorrow.

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have no idea how to teach kids, only adults.

Thanks in advance.

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Tue May 08, 2007 4:27 pm

I haven't taught kids ESL (just adults) but I used a lot of ESL techniques when I taught my kids things, and judging from that experience, I'd say that you should incorporate English into your play. It seems you could start with numbers, for example, blocks or cards, or things in the home, or colors or food. You can sing songs, Head shoulders knees and toes for example, for parts of the body. You could do things like "Give me the ...." (if you have flashcards). Or "Put your hand on your head." for things to do. You can model "Please" "Thank you" "Excuse me" "Hello" "Good-bye" Just use the same language every week.

Now you can get some advice from someone with experience. ;)

shelleyvernon

Post by shelleyvernon » Fri May 08, 2009 10:06 am

Hello

Yes I have just the thing for you.

The main thing is a games book with video demo lessons.
Then as an add-on I recommend stories, songs and plays.

I have all those things but the place to start is by watching the demo video on this site and receiving the free sample games:

http://www.homeenglishteacher.com

Enjoy!
Shelley