How can I improve my oral English?

<b>Forum for ideas on how to teach pronunciation </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Emily Jia

Post by Emily Jia » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:21 am

Hello everyone,
I'm a senior student in university. My major is English education. That to say, I will become a teacher in the future, but I am not satisfy with my oral English,so would you like give me some suggestions to improve my oral English?

EH

Post by EH » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:48 pm

You must speak more in English.
That's the only way to really improve oral English. Speak to the mirror when you brush your teeth. Speak to your pet dog when you play with her. Speak to any sympathetic human you can find.
Practice makes perfect.
-EH

Pearl Li

Post by Pearl Li » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:50 am

I really agree with EH. You must speak more in English if you want to improve your oral English. Recently I have gained a lot of confidence and improvement after I talk more with my friends in English. Try to express your ideas in English.

Luke Zimmermann

Post by Luke Zimmermann » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:21 am

Since you posted this under pronunciation, I assume you want to improve your pronunciation. Can I suggest 2 things:

1. when I was still learning English, I happen to record a conversation with someone. When I listened to my own voice, I was shocked at my strong Dutch accent. However, I realised I could now improve my accent. You can't hear your own pron mistakes when you speak, but you can when you record your voice.

2. Slow down your speech. I noticed that many foreign students make the mistake of speeding up their speech in the hope to sound fluent. However, if your pronunciation is not clear, this is disastrous. Speak slowly and pronounce words deliberately to improve. Later you can speed up again.

Finally, be patient with yourself. It takes time but it will pay off. Pronunciation is the first thing people notice about your English, so it is worth spending time on improving it.