MA Gender Study

<b> Forum for the discussion on how to use computers and technology in the ESL/EFL classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

pcouture

MA Gender Study

Post by pcouture » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:05 pm

Hello- I'm currently studying for my Master's degree and am doing research on gender relations in the classroom, specifically in relation to English language learning classrooms. Since the viewpoint of EFL teachers would greatly enhance my study, I am asking you to answer a few questions for me (I have them listed below). I would truly appreciate hearing from those of you "out in the field". After I graduate in December, I plan to head abroad myself. I have not committed myself yet; so I'm looking forward to replies that may prove insightful to me in my personal decision-making.Your insights are valuable to me and will be kept in complete confidence. Any and all data will, likewise, by kept confidential and will only be used by me and for my MA study.Thanks,
EFL Teacher Questionnaire
Please tell me about yourself:
1. Are you a man or a woman?
2 Where are you from originally?
3. Where are you teaching English?
4. How long have you been teaching English?
Please tell me about your students:
5. What types of students are you teaching?
What level? What age?
6. Are your students both male and female or is it a same- sex classroom?
Please share your experiences and feelings:
7. Do you think students view women and men teachers
differently? Why or why not?
8. Do you think students respond differently to men and
women teachers?
9. How do you feel that the gender of the teacher affects the
classroom environment? Or does it?
10. In your experience, are their differences between cutures
regarding teachers' gender and student attitudes?
11. Has a student or classroom situation ever made you feel
uncomfortable due to your gender?
12. What do you think is the ideal image for a teacher to have
the classroom?
13. What do you think the students believe represents the
ideal teacher?
14. What do you think is your biggest issue in your capacity
as an English language teacher?
15. What do you still find frustrating as an English teacher?
16. Please elaborate on any feelings that you have concerning
the issue of gender in the classroom.

Thank you for time and help!
All responses will be kept strictly confidential. Any data gathered will be for my own personal use in my Master’s Program research.

kittykoo

Post by kittykoo » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:49 am

EFL Teacher Questionnaire
Please tell me about yourself:
1. Are you a man or a woman? Woman
2 Where are you from originally? Canada
3. Where are you teaching English? Hong Kong
4. How long have you been teaching English? Six Years
Please tell me about your students:
5. What types of students are you teaching? High school graduates/First year universityWhat level? What age?
6. Are your students both male and female or is it a same- sex classroom? Male and female
Please share your experiences and feelings:
7. Do you think students view women and men teachers
differently? Why or why not? No. Teaching is a female dominated profession, so women have relatively more status
8. Do you think students respond differently to men and
women teachers? In Asia, I think there is a tendency to defer to men
9. How do you feel that the gender of the teacher affects the
classroom environment? Or does it? There is a gender role for women and foreign women have to fulfill that role in terms of the Hong Kong students' expectations
10. In your experience, are their differences between cutures
regarding teachers' gender and student attitudes? There are differences between my country and Asian countries regarding attitudes, but these differences are subtle and hard to define.
11. Has a student or classroom situation ever made you feel
uncomfortable due to your gender? Most men will give it a try, but I can usually defend myself successfully
12. What do you think is the ideal image for a teacher to have
the classroom? A teacher should project formality, serenity, and approachability
13. What do you think the students believe represents the
ideal teacher? A teacher that demonstrates cultural sensitivity and competence will be most likely to win the trust of students
14. What do you think is your biggest issue in your capacity
as an English language teacher? The generation gap is very accused in Asian countries. The closer teachers are to the age of the students, the more acceptance they can expect to have.
15. What do you still find frustrating as an English teacher? Students are only interested in passing tests. Education is secondary.
16. Please elaborate on any feelings that you have concerning
the issue of gender in the classroom. Asian students are very respectful of gender and I did not feel discriminated against or pressured because of gender. That said, males have more status than females and expect to be treated accordingly.
Thank you for time and help!
All responses will be kept strictly confidential. Any data gathered will be for my own personal use in my Master’s Program research.

pcouture

Post by pcouture » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Thank you for your thoughtful and well-said response. I tend to agree with your perspectives on this issue. I will gladly add your input to my data collection and, again, thank you for your contribution.