native speakers working with second language learners wanted

<b> Forum for Academic Directors and Academic Coordinators </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Gola

native speakers working with second language learners wanted

Post by Gola » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:38 pm

Hello, I am conducting my MA thesis research concerning native speakers as second language teachers. I need as many native speaking English teachers as possible who can fill out my questionnaire. It won't take you more than 10-15 minutes and it is very important so that my research results are reliable. You can complete it on your computer and send it to my e-mail - [email protected].

Thank you so much for help! Smile

PS. In close-ended questions you can choose only one answer, the most important thing in your opinion. When it comes to open-ended questions, please justify your answers. Thank you.

Questionnaire

1. What is your sex?
a) male
b) female

2. How old are you?

3. How long have you been teaching English to second language learners?
_______ years.

4. What makes a good teacher?
a) the knowledge of English
a) the ability to motivate his/her students
b) the understanding of the students’ needs

5. What is the most important role of the teacher in the English second language classroom?
a) controller
b) organiser
c) assessor
d) prompter
e) participant
f) resource
g) tutor
h) observer

6. Which role is, in your opinion, best performed by a native speaker and which by a non-native speaking teacher?

7. As a native speaker of English, what do you think you can give to the second language learners?

8. Do you think that the English language course can be successful without any use of students’ mother tongue?

9. According to your own experience, what is there that native speakers have and non-native speaking teachers don’t?

10. According to your own experience, what is there that non-native speaking teachers have and native speakers don’t?

11. What makes a native speaker teacher special?

12. What makes a non-native speaker teacher special?

13. As a native speaker, have you ever encountered any difficulties in teaching second language learners of English? If yes, what kind of difficulties?

14. Have you ever encountered any difficulties in teaching second language students due to your lack of knowledge of the students’ mother tongue? Have your students ever felt the need to speak their native language?

15. In what way do you use your ‘nativespeakerness’ to enhance students’ learning?

16. Do you share your experiences with non-native speaking teachers?
a) Yes, very often.
b) Yes, sometimes,
c) Yes, but quite seldom.
d) No, never.

17. Do you ask non-native teachers for help or advice?
a) Yes, very often.
b) Yes, sometimes.
c) Yes, but quite seldom.
d) No, never.

18. Who makes a better teacher of English – an English native speaker or non-native speaking teacher? Justify your opinion.

19. Do you think it is possible for a native speaker to make a better teacher than a non-native speaking teacher?

20. Do you think it is likely for a non-native speaker to make a better teacher than a native-speaker teacher?

21. Do you think it is attainable for a non-native speaker to have a native-like control over his English language?

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:33 pm