Preparing students for the TOEIC test

<b> Forum for the discussion of assessment and testing of ESL/EFL students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

dontcallme

Preparing students for the TOEIC test

Post by dontcallme » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:03 pm

I'm teaching students business English and a new cmpany I am teaching for requires their students to pass the TOIEC Test.

I've asked my company for advice but they've been pretty useless. I've taken my students through different practice tests through my book but I don't have full knowledge of the structure of the test, the time it takes or what is best for my students to learn outside of the book.

Each reading section is based on very different subjects and while my students are very knowledgeable their vocabulary does have holes unfortunately.

So if anyone can explain the test procedure and any advice on how best to prepare my students I would really appreciate it.

EnglishRaven

Post by EnglishRaven » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:26 am

Are the speaking and writing sections of the TOEIC part of the company's requirements?

If so, the resources I have on this page may be of some help to you:

http://www.english-itutor.com/TOEIC_SW.html

Other than that, I really recommend the Oxford Preparation for TOEIC series - it's the best I've seen for this particular test in terms of actual test prep AND having interesting, motivating and effective materials in color (not the ghastly black and white and shades of gray on crappy thin paper most series seem to use).

All the best,

~ Jason

hamburgenglish

Post by hamburgenglish » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:40 am

Our TOEIC Preparation website at www.onlineenglish.eu is not only superb for students but also for teachers as it contains all the information we have collected over many years as TOEIC administrators. It is also regularly updated and has the added benefit of combining teaching methods and techniques to cater for many types of students from those wishing to quickly prepare for the TOEIC Test, through those wishing to improve their level over two or more stages, to those wishing to fully practice and improve their business English.

The website is independent and was created and is operated by an official TOEIC test center, this means schools can use the website directly in class or offer it to their students without competitive concern.

If you wish to study and prepare for the TOEIC Test as a student or wish to find an interactiv training resource as a teacher or school, www.onlineenglish.eu currently offers the best TOEIC training and preparation available.