Help! I need help with 3 year olds

<b> Forum for teachers working with preschool children </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Manny3

Help! I need help with 3 year olds

Post by Manny3 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:48 am

Hello everyone!

I was asked to teach a 3 year old and I have no clue what to do. My guess is sing and dance and read stories. Any other ideas would help.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:39 am

Try to make up a routine too so they get to know what is coming next. We did this with a group but the parents stayed as well and held the children on their laps (when they weren't doing actions or games). The parents learned along with the kids and often an even younger sibling. It helped with keeping their attention.

First was a kind of greeting with a song, "Hi, Hiroki, How are you? I'm fine thank you."

Then we did the weather and had pictures for the children to choose the kind of weather it was that day and an appropriate song - Rain, rain go away. As they got better we added the months, dates and holidays to a calendar.

Then we did colours - the rainbow and they jumped on circles spread out on the floor according to what colour we called or ran to touch something of that colour around the room.

Then we had pictures of a story song and sang that with appropriate actions, "If you're happy and you know it", "Incy, wincy spider" kind of thing.

Then we had flashcards of some theme - transportation, food, body parts
and so on and learned about 5 words per session and then played Slap.
They slap the card of the word that you say and get to keep it if they are right. Or they played memory or warmer, colder as we hid the flash cards and so on.

Then we had a paper kind of activity to cut and paste or colour on the same theme and reviewed the words individually while they did it.

Finally we had a goodbye song.

We used the picture dictionary from the series "Let's Go" as a basis for our lessons and the children had a little book that we called a Passport to English that we made with the 20 small pictures per page printed on a sort of track. They practiced each page as homework with their parents and when they could say all of them, they got a stamp in their passport.

Here are some more ideas http://forums.eslcafe.com/teacher/viewt ... ight=#7372

shelleyvernon

Post by shelleyvernon » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:44 am

Hi Manny

Three year olds can be shy and nervous until they get to know you so be gentle, for example there's no point insisting that they repeat something or say something if they are not ready to. Just be encouraging all the time regardless.

They love stories, songs, puppets and play. They are not into games in the competitive sense but more into make-believe and just playing.

A game for them would be pickng objects out of a box and placing them on the corresponding flashcard. If you are introducing those words you keep naming them over and over, and saying "well done". So it's actually pretty easy to keep them happy as long as you change your activities often, because they can get bored of doing the same thing after a few minutes.

Therefore after a few minutes of picking things out of the box you switch and have the kids walk over to a given object or flashcard. Then have them hop on one leg (or try to!) to a different object. You work with the same objects for the entire class but using different activities constantly so the children never have the impression of monotony and end up by knowing the words!

For a complete preschool curriculum with stories, lesson plans and songs please check out my site below.

All the best
Shelley

http://www.teachingenglishgames.com/3-5.htm
Preschool Curriculum of Stories and Songs. Flashcards, illustrations and lesson plans included.

musica5

free video of finger rhymes

Post by musica5 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:23 pm

hi
I have just started uploading short videos with interactive finger rhymes, perfect for using with preschool and young children.
http://www.youtube.com/pamelasunshine
I hope they are useful
Pamela