Seeking info on language assessment

<b>Forum for teachers working with refugees </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

sheilachat

Seeking info on language assessment

Post by sheilachat » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:59 pm

Hello,

I am the librarian at a college prep high school in San Francisco. One of my advisees, Emmanuel, is a refugee from Sudan. Emmanuel has done exceptionally well both academically and socially until this year. He seems to be hitting a wall, particularly in his English and History classes. Our Dean of Students has suggested we have his English language skills assessed so we can determine if he would benefit from a modified curriculum.

Please let me know what English language assessment tests are available for high school ESL students. Ideally, we would like to administer the test onsite. If an onsite option is not realistic, please let me know what organizations in San Francisco or Northern California administer these tests.

Thank you so much, in advance, for your help.

Sheila Chatterjee

Sevans

Post by Sevans » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:26 am

Since you are a college prep high school, check in with local universities or community colleges.

I would recommend finding someplace he could take the TOEFL since he may have to take that to get into some universities. Maybe the student has an idea of where he wants to go to Uni. Check and see what the requirements are for that Uni.

This way, you would not only get his English assessed, but he would get practice on the test he will need for the Uni he wants to go to.