Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL jobs! Can anybody give me a piece of advice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gabrielax1982

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: TEFL jobs! Can anybody give me a piece of advice? Reply with quote

Hi, My name is Gabriela. I'm from Argentina. I'm a qualified English teacher and I've been thinking of travelling abroad so that i could teach english in other countries. However, I have certain doubts concerning the schools or the way of getting a job. I have been checking several ESL websites and i have seen one named "jobs4teachers.org". The idea is that you pay to them a certain amount of money and they find you a school. It sounds quite good but i was wondering if any of you know this company and have a clue if it is to trust or not. I know the question it may sound silly, but since i have no idea about how to get a job abroad, or how to search for a school or the process to be done, i asked myself if it was easier to trust this company or if any of you have got a job by their help.
Well, thanks for your help. Any response will be very helpful.

Gaby
Lorikeet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try posting in the Jobs Forum on this website? I'd sure be reticent about paying money to someone, myself, but I have no experience in that area.
Králík

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to jump in with a lexical question but can reticent be used synonymously with reluctant that way? I assumed the word only related to reluctance to speak.. but I never came across it before teaching so I haven't got a good knowledge of it's usage.

Anyway there are many sites advertising jobs.

I would not send money to anyone who promises to find you a job, any legitimate recruitment agency I've ever heard of charges the employers for finding them employees.
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kralik! I'd myself would probably use 'wary of/about' ('reluctant' here would to me suggest now thinking it just bad value rather than still thinking it too much of a risk). That is, I think you're right about the "uncommunicative-only" meaning of 'reticent' (if the dictionaries and thesauruses that I just looked in are anything to go by). I guess Lori's brain just had a blippy (=perhaps was creatively extending the boundaries of the language?). Smile
woodcutter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site insults people like Lori but ultimately backs Lori's usage up really.

http://www.alphadictionary.com/blog/?p=62

Someone in the LL discussion here grumbles about the crime too.

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=1033#more-1033

As to the original question, if you are an Argentinian passport holder you would need to ask Argentinian people for good answers. For English speaking country passport holders that is unnecessary. I wouldn't worry about paying a company to find me a school too much though, if I had the cash, but I wouldn't expect a cushy job. Then again, different people like different conditions.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lorikeet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goodness, had I realized the furor my vocabulary selection would have engendered, I might have been reticent to use it.

Anyway, some of the dictionaries accept that usage, and some don't I guess.
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My goodness, had I realized the furor my vocabulary selection would have engendered, I might have been reticent to use it.

LOL!

Smile
danielwelsch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably a bad idea giving somebody money to look for a job for you. Why not just send your CV out to schools where you want to go. See how much potential interest there is for you before you get on a plane, and it's free!

Good luck,
Daniel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: