TEFL jobs! Can anybody give me a piece of advice?

<b> Forum for the announcement of important TESL/TEFL items and events </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

gabrielax1982

TEFL jobs! Can anybody give me a piece of advice?

Post by gabrielax1982 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:38 am

Hi, My name is Gabriela. I'm from Argentina. I'm a qualified English teacher and I've been thinking of travelling abroad so that i could teach english in other countries. However, I have certain doubts concerning the schools or the way of getting a job. I have been checking several ESL websites and i have seen one named "jobs4teachers.org". The idea is that you pay to them a certain amount of money and they find you a school. It sounds quite good but i was wondering if any of you know this company and have a clue if it is to trust or not. I know the question it may sound silly, but since i have no idea about how to get a job abroad, or how to search for a school or the process to be done, i asked myself if it was easier to trust this company or if any of you have got a job by their help.
Well, thanks for your help. Any response will be very helpful.

Gaby

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:00 am

Did you try posting in the Jobs Forum on this website? I'd sure be reticent about paying money to someone, myself, but I have no experience in that area.

Králík

Post by Králík » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:08 pm

Sorry to jump in with a lexical question but can reticent be used synonymously with reluctant that way? I assumed the word only related to reluctance to speak.. but I never came across it before teaching so I haven't got a good knowledge of it's usage.

Anyway there are many sites advertising jobs.

I would not send money to anyone who promises to find you a job, any legitimate recruitment agency I've ever heard of charges the employers for finding them employees.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:36 am

Hi Kralik! I'd myself would probably use 'wary of/about' ('reluctant' here would to me suggest now thinking it just bad value rather than still thinking it too much of a risk). That is, I think you're right about the "uncommunicative-only" meaning of 'reticent' (if the dictionaries and thesauruses that I just looked in are anything to go by). I guess Lori's brain just had a blippy (=perhaps was creatively extending the boundaries of the language?). :)

woodcutter

Post by woodcutter » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:44 am

This site insults people like Lori but ultimately backs Lori's usage up really.

http://www.alphadictionary.com/blog/?p=62

Someone in the LL discussion here grumbles about the crime too.

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=1033#more-1033

As to the original question, if you are an Argentinian passport holder you would need to ask Argentinian people for good answers. For English speaking country passport holders that is unnecessary. I wouldn't worry about paying a company to find me a school too much though, if I had the cash, but I wouldn't expect a cushy job. Then again, different people like different conditions.

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:28 am

My goodness, had I realized the furor my vocabulary selection would have engendered, I might have been reticent to use it.

Anyway, some of the dictionaries accept that usage, and some don't I guess.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:40 pm

My goodness, had I realized the furor my vocabulary selection would have engendered, I might have been reticent to use it.
LOL!

:)

danielwelsch

Post by danielwelsch » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:50 pm

It's probably a bad idea giving somebody money to look for a job for you. Why not just send your CV out to schools where you want to go. See how much potential interest there is for you before you get on a plane, and it's free!

Good luck,
Daniel.