Is it possible to teach English with a computer?

<b> Forum for the discussion on how to use computers and technology in the ESL/EFL classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Are face-to-face classes essential?

Poll ended at Fri May 01, 2009 3:03 pm

Yes, completely. The student must have regular face-to-face contact with a teacher/other students.
No votes
No, all communication can be done over the Internet.
No votes
Yes, there should be some classes, but it`s not necessary to meet more tha once a week.
No votes

Total votes: 0

Gringa

Is it possible to teach English with a computer?

Post by Gringa » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:03 pm

Hi!

I'd like your opinions ...

Do you think that it's possible for a student to adequately learn English through an e-learning programme or are face-to-face classes essential?

I`m not talking about one-to-one classes with video-conferencing. I`m talking about a group of students who want to learn English at home or at work with their computer and don`t have time to attend classes.

As a complete technophobe, I know what my opinion is, but I'd like to know what you think? What`s the best way to learn English in this tecnological age?

Gringa

fredgreen111

Post by fredgreen111 » Sat May 30, 2009 3:14 am

It's possible. And it happens. Is it right for everyone? Probably not. I think that language is best taught with a great deal of face-to-face interpersonal contact, though.

My answer to your poll would have been "yes, BUT...." :-)

Janice Flores

Re: Is it possible to teach English with a computer?

Post by Janice Flores » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:07 am

Gringa wrote:Hi!

I'd like your opinions ...

Do you think that it's possible for a student to adequately learn English through an e-learning programme or are face-to-face classes essential?

I`m not talking about one-to-one classes with video-conferencing. I`m talking about a group of students who want to learn English at home or at work with their computer and don`t have time to attend classes.

As a complete technophobe, I know what my opinion is, but I'd like to know what you think? What`s the best way to learn English in this tecnological age?

Gringa

Hello!

I`m a Brazilian High School teacher who recently finished a monography research about this topic. Yes. It`s possible to teach and to learn languages through a computer even though people think that face-to-face is essential. I have students who learned English by net and their English was nice. The problem I detected is that they don`t have orientation on the specific pre-requisites subjects I consider fundamental for learning well, as, I mean, article- pronoun- vb- complements.
The students don`t have this orientation at the computer.If teacher orientate these pre-requisites at the web, Yes, the learning can be totally possible through computer .
There are still other problems as the correct and adequated programs for this teaching/learning.ESL or EFL?

If these questions are solved I do believe learning/teaching well can be possible, or on the contrary, students will have a messy and lost English.
I do hope I helped you because this site is amazing and helped me a lot on this search.

GOOD LUCKY!
Janice Flores :wink:

a_ibrahim

Computers

Post by a_ibrahim » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:33 pm

Personally, I think that there needs to be some face-to-face time. While you can do almost anything online nowadays, face-to-face time would allow for what you don't get in e-learning environment, such as facial expressions and other body language. I guess the third option would be the best for me.

Donnetta

Post by Donnetta » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:15 pm

CALL (Computer Assisted Language Learning) is naturally big in the 21st century. And for adult learners there is a wonderful, FREE web-based program that is very nice. www.usalearns.org is a self-paced program that allows adults to learn English and/or improve their basic reading, writing, speaking, listening and life skills. I recommend it to the parents of my ESL students who ask me about what is available to them in order to improve their English skills at a low cost with flexible hours for working adults. On a side note, I do think that interaction, face-to-face communication is invaluable. But if adults are serious about learning English and put in the time and effort to learn via CALL and then take the opportunity to practice with everyone they can, they can be successful. Intrinsic motivation is the biggie when it comes to succeeding at anything.