Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

not native speaker wants to be esl teacher advice please!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Pronunciation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katerinaver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: not native speaker wants to be esl teacher advice please! Reply with quote

I am a non native english speaker who has a slight accent. i have been going to english school since age 10.
Do you think I will have any problems getting a job as an esl teacher. Here in the U.S. or abroad?
I heard that in some Asian countries they look for "native" speakers only.
Please advise.
katerinaver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: reply please Reply with quote

reply please
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi K! I've had Dutch speakers of (excellent) English in China, and Filipino and Indian speakers of (comparatively more accented, but still perfectly acceptable) English in Japan, as colleagues (and good ones they were, too), so there is a chance you could get hired to at least teach TEFL abroad, especially if you now hold a US passport (which would help disguise if not completely conceal the fact that you didn't have quite the full K12 schooling in English, assuming any non-native employers in Asia, of which there are quite a few, would even pick up on your accent). I can't really comment on TESL in the US.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Pronunciation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: