Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Texts for private tutoring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Texts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myself

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Texts for private tutoring Reply with quote

I'm just getting started teaching private (individual) students, and I'd like to know if anyone can recommend a good ESL text (or texts) for that purpose. Most of the usual texts are for group classes, and I'm not sure how they'd work for private lessons. Many thanks.
alexcase

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a textbook called business one:one especialy designed for one to one classes:

http://www.oup.com/elt/global/products/businessoneone/

We've got a copy of each level at school, but to be honest I took a quick flick through, decided it was dull and have never picked it up again. I think it is easier to just take an interesting book (e.g. New English File) and get some tips on how to teach one to one than taking a book that is made for it and then trying to spice it up. There have been a book about techniques on how to teach private classes, so I'd spend my money on one of them instead

Here's the link for a Businessey one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Teachers-Handbook-Peter-Wilberg/dp/0906717612

but there was also a cafe classes type one that I can't trace at the moment

And for online hints on one to one classes:

From onestopenglish (some of these lessons are mine):

http://www.onestopenglish.com/section.asp?sectionType=listsummary&catid=58047

And the British Council:

http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/think/methodology/onetoone.shtml
mgrima

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also teach private classes and have not had any success in finding an ESL textbook that I like for one on one privates however I find the best way to format your classes is through conversation more then grammar. When you have a one on one student you have the advantage of oral communication. What I like to do is teach the grammar concept and then do and oral activity with the student this way they get to practise it right away and they have a better chance at remembering it. You can then send them home with a workbook to work on exercises to reinforce what you saw in class.
danielwelsch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people I know use English Grammar in Use by Raymond Murphy. He has various levels, and it's good for grammar.

What I do is assign them homework from that book and look it over in class. If the student doesn't do the homework you can do the activities conversationally also...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Texts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: