Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alternative Classroom-Based Assessment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Assessment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RachelMHansen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Alternative Classroom-Based Assessment Reply with quote

Iíve been reading about alternative assessments. I understand that our students have to take traditional tests. However, I think that decontextualization of the test content and the timed format can make it very difficult for ELLs to be successful on standardized tests. I find myself more in favor of untimed, free- response type assessments. I believe this enables the students to have their English language skills more accurately assessed. Is it okay to rely primarily on these assessments in my classroom, or will this do a disservice to students when they have to then take state standardized tests?
bozzy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe a mixture of both would be ideal. That way, when the student has to sit and take a standard test, they know "how it goes" and can accomplish the test without feeling lost.
Donnetta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in total agreement. Assessments should be varied. Too much of any one thing (no matter how good) is overkill and thus becomes ineffective. Porfolios are good; but they shouldn't be the only form of assessment. I am a HUGE fan of IPA's (Integrated Performance Assessments) and use them a lot; but you can't just rely on these for assessment purposes either. Though I don't like them much, there is a time and a place for standardized assessment tests and like it or not, our students will take them so we must prepare them to be effective test takers as well. Balance is the key or boredom and scewed test results will be the only thing we get out of assessment. I mean I love water but I can't live off just water only. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Assessment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: