Looking for highly recommended ESL literature

Forum for teachers/tutors to find and suggest worthy works and materials

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

dbravo7

Looking for highly recommended ESL literature

Post by dbravo7 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:26 am

I am about to head out to Hexi University in Zhangye, China. I will be teaching english to 14 classes. The students are at an intermediate level. I want to buy two ESL books that will help me in forming lesson plans, class activities, and assessment. This is my first teaching job overseas. I am really trying to pack light so I don't want to get more than two books. Please give me your recommendations.

JeremyTaylor

Excellent ESL book

Post by JeremyTaylor » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:02 pm

I would recommend almost anything by Colin Granger. Have a look at http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0435 ... 0435250175

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:40 pm

If you have access to the Internet you will have all the reading you want on preparing for classes and exercises. I would suggest buying something more in the theoretical line to keep you reading the same thing over and over until you understand it. Visit your local university book store and get something challenging in the education section.

Just before you get on the plane go to the airport bookstore and buy tons of magazines. They will not count on your luggage weight and the students will enjoy reading them.

Take a digital camera and you can make your own books.