Advice- Director of English at Hospitality Service institute

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Swing59

Advice- Director of English at Hospitality Service institute

Post by Swing59 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:51 pm

Hey all,

I am being offered a job as the director of English at an institute in Ecuador geared toward gastronomy and hotel management. They want me to supervise the English teachers (not sure if they are native speakers or not), buy the appropriate materials, design the curriculum, etc... They also want me to design a curriculum tailored to the needs of their students (hospitality industry english).

I have spent the last year teaching preschool English and will be taking the CELTA in August. I feel completely unqualified for this position and am really only being offered it because I am a family friend of the owner of the institute. I am leaning HEAVILY towards turning it down because of my lack of ESL experience. I just want to have a few people who know a bit more about this than I do weigh in on the difficulty of the job. Would the CELTA help prepare me for this? Are there any good resources that would help me figure out what the hell I was doing when it came time to evaluate teachers, design a curriculum ect.? I imagine experience is very important with this kind of job.

Please weigh in.

Thanks.