Can Someone Suggest the Best Teacher Program?

<b> Forum for the announcement of important TESL/TEFL items and events </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

nowman

Can Someone Suggest the Best Teacher Program?

Post by nowman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:04 am

I'm a long time educator in public and private schools. I have a teaching certificate in 3 states and have K-12 plus adult teaching experience. After a summer teaching kids from France and Spain, here in CA, I realized I really enjoyed it and want to teach English overseas. Can anyone give advice on where to find the best certification program? I understand there's a difference in those programs offered in the US and those in Europe. Are graduates of one program more sought after than others? I prefer not to go back to grad school, but instead would like to find a less intense program, that can give me the skills in teaching ESL to combine with my expertise as a teacher. Thanks in advance for help with my question.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:23 pm

May I suggest that you get your teacher training certificate instead. With all your experience you would be great in teaching teachers in some other country. It may require a Masters but I'm sure you will enjoy the studies and be able to help the younger students in your program. It will have a greater impact on the countries if you can train the teachers.

Of course, I suggest my alma mater of Carleton University in Ottawa, Canada as the best. Ottawa has just been voted the best city in Canada to live. 2 years or less (some people took 4 or 5 courses a semester when I was there) and you are on your way with a good experience in living in Canada.

nowman

Good Idea!

Post by nowman » Tue May 04, 2010 4:20 am

Thanks for your reply. I've always enjoyed teaching teachers, as I've mentored many in my years in education. It's funny, but I never thought about that option within ESL. And, Canada? It's my favorite country in the Western Hemisphere. I'll look into it.

Thanks again.

dionel

training for ESL teachers

Post by dionel » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:44 am

Hi, I'm teaching in Korea and they require a degree plus preferably a TEFL or TESOL certificate. Those are specialized for teaching to ESL.