About MERCAN SCHOOL(taiyuan,China)

<b> Forum for the announcement of important TESL/TEFL items and events </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Safgril

About MERCAN SCHOOL(taiyuan,China)

Post by Safgril » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:23 am

Mercan School-Taiyuan, China(shanxi province)

Where do I start? The owner of this school is Wang Dun. He will come off as a really really nice guy. But deep down, he is a dirty business man that does not care about teaching children.

He posted an advertisement here saying you get your flight free. That is so false. You already get it with any school in china. You get a free roundtrip. He is just willing to fork over the money right away for your flight.

But in the end you will get less money because he only gives you enough for the difference for the flight. Example: he buys you a one way to Beijing then to taiyuan. Come the end of your one year contract he then takes the total for that flight, minus what it would cost for a present round trip. So you wont have enough money to get back unless you actually saved money.

Now i have worked for this school for FOUR YEARS. His saying to all foreigners was he is your friend and you must always think of the school. Yes, i did too. Very loyal to his school. But in those four years he has had a woman named Carla running his school. She has repeatedly admitted to many of the foreigners she does not know what she is doing and does not handle foreigners well. You would even get the feeling she doesnt like foreigners.

Because of her, I did not want to re-sign my next years contract. They begged and begged me to stay.

Now let me tell you about why i stay in China. I am married to a Taiyuan woman and very much in love. We have our first child on the way after 3 lovely years of marriage. Wang Dun knows this.

He posted on the newspaper that i was a bad teacher, yet i worked with him for so many years. He still uses my picture for advertisements. And blabs around town saying that I am a criminal from america and who knows what else.

Because I wouldnt sign a new contract with him. He has paid off many people in the Visa place to make sure i do NOT get another Work Visa here in Taiyuan. I have finally left the Taiyuan because of it.

Got another job, and now i find out he is still trying to get somebody to stop me from working in another city.

There are otehr foreigner stories of him making people leave China. Did it to a College Professor who was a tremendous teacher. But because she was too old they fired her. He cancelled her work visa. Made her leave the country even though she talked to him about going to a University in a different city. He lied to her told her he would set up her next visa for the next place and just cancelled it.

A friend of mine... took hiim 3 weeks to get just a letter saying he was finished with his contract. Which he was, but he didnt want him to go. After many foreigners telling him to let him go he finally did it.

Took me 3 weeks to get my final pay. After threatening to go to the press about his school.

STAY AWAY FROM MERCAN SCHOOL located in TAIYUAN, SHANXI PROVINCE, CHINA.

he opened a school in America and has been pulled off the craigslist because of too many complaints.

Safgril

Post by Safgril » Wed May 13, 2009 12:22 am

oh and one more thing... if you want to see much of china.. you wont thru this school.

Safgril

Post by Safgril » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:47 pm

if you are one of those people he said he is training for your Tesol or Toefl...

its a lie... he will have you work for him for super low pay.. he has himself a low paying teacher now...

he is trying to find ways to keep teacher pay low and make more money and now is scamming the US citizens by saying you will get your free training at his school.

by the way, you wont learn a thing... you will just work for him is all you will do.

Safgril

Post by Safgril » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:41 pm

update on the school. He continues to just keep on getting foreigners for his school but fails to have enough classes for all of them. you are paid hourly so basically there are some pretty upset people there because they are not making enough money to live now.

Safgril

Post by Safgril » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:51 am

my last update... do stay away from this school.

The school is getting a severely bad reputation now in Taiyuan. The numbers of students have dropped drastically. The Owner is now stuck in the US because he is trying to get a citizenship there. His current Headmaster quit on him so he has a very inexperienced person running the school now.

yet still hires employees. Guess none of you are reading this warning.