Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching University in Peru

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdavids3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Teaching University in Peru Reply with quote

Hello. I am currently teaching high school science for my second year in Thailand and I'm interested in moving to Peru around the end of August or beginning of September. I have my BA from Canada and 2 years teaching experience. I have just a few questions I was hoping someone could help me with:
1) Is September a bad time to be job hunting in Peru?
2) What is the best way to look for university jobs?
3) What are the usual requirements for university positions?
4) What are the average work hours and pay?
5) Would Colombia be a better destination?
Sorry about the list of questions and thank you for taking the time to help me out. Cheers.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching University in Peru Reply with quote

1) Is September a bad time to be job hunting in Peru? Kind of. The school year starts March 1. Second semestre is Sept 1.

2) What is the best way to look for university jobs? Unless you already have a work visa, most places won't jump through the hoops to get you one. Especially in Lima. Try UDEP in Piura. They'll help you. I've heard that some unis in Trujillo will help as well.

3) What are the usual requirements for university positions? BA and native speaker.

4) What are the average work hours and pay? Low. UDEP paid 700 a month and that was 40 hours at work, about 25 teaching. USIL paid 10 to 15 bucks an hour, but you couldn't teach more than 25 hours. More pay means less hours since it's an EAP class. So you can make 800 dollars a month, 8 months out of the year since you don't teach during exams or breaks.

5) Would Colombia be a better destination? I don't know.
sdavids3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your help. You're answers definitely helped me get an idea of working at universities in Peru. Cheers
geoboz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: universidad de piura Reply with quote

i'm sure that the previous poster is well intended, but i fear that he is uninformed in recommending UdeP to anyone. it is an opus dei university, an extremely strict roman catholic lay sector of the church. i worked there for 6 months and endured all kinds of academic harassment. monitors (read: spies) stood outside my classroom to listen for any objectionable topics. also, the head librarian interviewed (more like interrogated) me because i wanted to check out a book on shakespeare. also, my boss at the time suffered from *beep* envy ("little dick syndrome") and found irritating ways to make his feel longer. enough said.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: universidad de piura Reply with quote

geoboz wrote:
i'm sure that the previous poster is well intended, but i fear that he is uninformed in recommending UdeP to anyone. it is an opus dei university, an extremely strict roman catholic lay sector of the church. i worked there for 6 months and endured all kinds of academic harassment. monitors (read: spies) stood outside my classroom to listen for any objectionable topics. also, the head librarian interviewed (more like interrogated) me because i wanted to check out a book on shakespeare. also, my boss at the time suffered from *beep* envy ("little dick syndrome") and found irritating ways to make his feel longer. enough said.

I worked there for two years actually. I left on good terms, but that turned sour a couple months later and won't post publically why, but you're welcome to PM me.

I did have issues with the religion. When I got married, I was told that we couldn-t live together unless we got married in the church. We didn't and he moved to Lima 10 days after we got married.
jooooooey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends. You can find university jobs in Lima, but they won�t usually get you a visa. About half the Americans who work in San Marcos (there are 4 of us) don�t have a visa, but the university isn�t too hot on it and says it�s trying to change that. They make 23 soles an hour. But if you go to a university where there�s a demand, they�ll hire you.

The thing about universities in Peru is that it isn�t like a normal university that teaches language classes per semester. It is usually an institute that is associated with the university (a language center) and they start new classes every month. So they are always hiring.

If you already have a visa, you can make pretty good money at some universities, but I don�t know how much.

I�ve worked at a couple universities in Lima, and some of the foreign teachers didn�t even have a bacheoler�s degree, but it�s better if you do. Very few of the teachers had a master�s degree, but if you do, you can probably get a lot better job.

Like the other�s said, work hours and pay just depends. The economy in Peru is getting a lot better, you could probably make more than 700 a month without problem, but it takes a long time to get set up. It�s not like Asia where you go and you already have a job and visa and everything. But most teachers give private lessons too.

Colombia might be better, I don�t know. I hear that the visa thing is a little simpler there. Teachers in Colombia make a little more money than here but it�s also a little more expensive to live there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: