Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Offer...what do you think?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dash201

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Offer...what do you think? Reply with quote

Ok, here we go again...I think I already know the answer but thoughts please!!!

Salary - 992KWD a month

Housing allowance - 175 KWD a month (Average one bed apartment is about 280 KWD a month???)

Flights annually for me only (not the wife)

No medical insurance (is this usual in Kuwait? Would I need it?)

Lots of document attesting at my expense as well as a Criminal Check.

No mention of utilities being paid (this would be at my expense!)

Go on then, let rip!
huh?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pay package is not brilliant, but it is not that bad. You shouldn't worry about whether the pay is as good as at some other jobs in Kuwait - instead you should think about how the pay compares to other offers you have had. Including rent, you should easily be able to live on 800 KD a month, and depending on your lifestyle, as little as 500 KD a month.

Most westeners seem to prefer staying in areas with lots of other westerners and rents in these areas tend to be a bit high, but there are other options. Hawalli and Meidan Hawalli are fairly crowded areas with LOTS of traffic, but also with scores of restaurants, some really good take-outs, a coop and a Sultan Center for groceries. They have quite a few fairly nice buildings with two-bedroom apartments for 220-240 KD. One-bedrooms start at about 180/200 KD. Older apartments (more than 6 or 7 years old) are fairly roomy, while new ones are often nicely done but small. Often, utilities are included in the rent - when they are not included, they run about 5-7 dinars a month. Most of the other occupants in the building would be young white-collar/low-management-level/small business families from Egypt, the Maghreb, Lebanon, Pakistan, India or the Philippines. If you are planning to brew or have noisy parties, these buildings would not be a good idea. Otherwise, they tend to be friendly and welcoming. One of the main things to consider when you look at an apartment is the haris (building manager). A pleasant, straight-forward haris who keeps a clean building will make a big difference.

No flight for your wife is not good, but you can find fairly cheap flights. If she is not working, she will definitely want to be out of Kuwait for most of the summer as it is unpleasantly hot.
dash201

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Huh.

The place I am thinking of is Fahaheel. Any idea where I could look online at places to rent there? Also, do they require a deposit?

Thanks.
sharter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Me and a mate looked at a place in Fahaheel last weekend. It was/is a two-bedroom flat, with 2 bathrooms a lounge and kitchen. The bedrooms overlook the beach and have little balconies. The cost was 420KD a month. The phone number is 99758167420 if I've read my call register correctly. Two small gyms and a 25 metre pool. Plenty of parking. It was nice. A ten-minute walk from Al-Khoot mall.
Jasoneap

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to teach from a textbook only....Sign the dotted line.
If you want to be told how to teach.....Sign the dotted line.
If you want to be the only one who knows what Level 2b is....Sign the dotted line.
Graham Jahra

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Renting Reply with quote

Try these websites they should help you to find something decent to rent.

Good luck Surprised

http://re.com.kw/rent/en/1332/Apartment � n-Mahboula

http://www.q8residence.com/Search_resul � _rent=rent

http://www.masahati.com/search.aspx?pro � iew_mode=1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: