Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mesaieed International School

View previous topic :: View next topic  
keano16

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Mesaieed International School Reply with quote

Hi,

This school has been advertising a few secondary school teaching posts and I have applied. Iv'e never taught abroad before and this seemed like a good place to get some info.

Just wanted to know what the school and area are like from anyone who has had an experience with them; teachers, ex-teacher, parents or anyone.

Thanks.
idaho_potato

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Messaid Community School is owned and operated by QP (Qatar Petroleum). They also operate a school in Dhukah. These schools are for the children of QP employees and offer a Brit curric. As Direct Hires for QP, the terms and conditions are usually favorable. Many of the teachers at the Dhukah school have been there for years. So unlike the Gulag Training Centre and the series of administrative fiascos (mainly because they want to cut corners but outsourcing), the Dhukah school is quite successful. If the Messaid school is run on similar principles, it should be a fairly okay place to work. Salaries are competitive and housing is good. Messaid is about 35 miles from Doha but is a backwater industrial town. It's also on the way to Sealine Beach where hundreds of local dunebashers go every weekend to camp and ride up and down the dunes. You may as well go for it.
keano16

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to give up on this forum Sad

Thank you ver much for your reply. I'm not into the drinking/clubbing scene and was wondering if anyone could comment on "things to do" in Mesaieed if I dont fnacy the 35 mile run to Doha (thats assuming Doha has things to do?)

Thanks.
millie18

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing you're not into drinking/clubbing as those are almost Doha exclusive preoccupations in 5 star hotels if you don't have an alcohol permit. If you want the occasional beverage to enjoy at home - you still have to travel to Doha to purchase them.

Sealine Resort would be your nearest outlet for organized "fun". Beware of the boys showing off in their Landrovers or other large 4WDs - while on the resort you'll be OK off the resort you're on your own pretty much.

Messaid is an industrial town - while you'd be able to find fresh fruit and veg and chicken - some other meat offerings might be a bit dodgy til you find a good vendor. There are no large supermarkets so the offerings will be geared more to the local population, not westerners. It's not that it's not doable, just that you would have to adjust your food buying habits to fit what's available - and a lot of that would be from the subcontinent rather than Europe - which might suit you down to the ground for all I know.

As for the 35 mile trip to Doha - you would need transport (rented or owned) public transport is not usually something westerners undertake here and taxis can be few and far between for such a journey.
topshop

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: mesiaeed Reply with quote

I visited the international school there for an interview and found it friendly if a little disorganised. I think they were in the process of moving at the time about two years ago. the contractor network overseas pay a good salary but I heard that some of the teachers did not renew their contract

I think you would probably prefer to live in Doha and commute as the town is dull....you can use the mowasat bus 109 to get to the centre of Doha and its a pleasant trip. HOWEVER YOU WOULD NEED A CAR EVENTUALLY.

all in all if you receive an offer go for it...better to work here that languish at home without work.
sharter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I'd go for it. I was direct hire at QP-great dosh and they'll give you the car loan etc. Sealine is a nice little resort and you'll get to Doha in no time at all. I used to love driving around sunset time. Down at Sealine it's beautiful and you have the Khor UlUdeed national park over the dunes. Don't forget the sand golf course is also near Msaeed. Msaeed itself is a dump but if they give you a nice villa, who cares?
keano16

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the information its all very helpful. I think i'm going to go for it if I get a decent offer.

On that note can anyone suggest what is considered a decent salary??

Thanks a bunch.
millie18

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe QP has a set salary grade scale that they offer to their regular employees - usually not negotiable unless you've got a skill set they are particularly looking for to my knowledge.

As for MIS I would assume (never assume, I know, I know) that the same policy is in effect. In Doha, recent hires at International schools have been offered anywhere between 9 - 12k/month benefits vary - so it gives you an idea of what the competition is offering.
sharter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I left QP in 2003 and all in I was on 18,000 a month, which included my housing allowance. Got a 50,000QR car loan and a 50,000QR furniture allowance and all the other bens like dentistry, tickets, the Falcon Club etc. I've hear housing costs a tonne now, so go for housing plus 14,000QR.....it's fair.
libran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Mesaieed International School Reply with quote

Hi all

After reading this thread , its now 2014 and would like to ask for those that are teaching at the school or those that have, has the school changed since people wrote on this thread?? Ive read the ISR reviews and its a mixed bag...I know the school is recruiting for 2014 and wished to know of what its really like now in terms of management/ curriculum and package.

Many thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: