Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paying for work permit????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leila2003

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Paying for work permit???? Reply with quote

Hi there again....I'd like to know if this is normal?? A school has sent me an offer of employment but nowhere do they state the salary. Furthermore, they want me to put $500 into their bank account for procedures to complete the work permit.....is this on the level???

I would appreciate any feedback a.s.a.p.

Thanks a million
El Gordo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if the work permit does cost USD 500, which I very much doubt, if the school cannot afford to pay that amount, what does that tell you about them? Also, any reputable school would by now have sent you a specimen contract with the salary clearly stipulated.

I would treat this offer with a great deal of suspicion, and would definitely not part with any money. For all you know, it could just be some scam. Does the school actually exist?
Leila2003

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: How do I know? Reply with quote

Hi there....me again....the school has sent me brochures and a code of conduct and they seem sooooo professional....I am currently teaching in the ME and its contract renewal time....I really want to go BACK to Turkey but don't want to get there and find I have chosen a "fly-by-night" school.

What questions can I ask to make sure that the school is on the up and up; reputable and that I will have some form of recourse should something happen??

Thanks to anyone who can assist.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 11:52 am    Post subject: We neeed $500 for your work permit Reply with quote

Either this is a scam, or the school are incompetent. I am sure you can find someone bettr than this. Why not just go and look ? Do everything the old-fashioned way, face-to-face.
halibut

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Run away! Reply with quote

It does NOT cost $500 to process a work visa. They are trying to rip you off. My work visa cost about $100 once everything was finished, but that was a year ago. By the way, it is impossible to get a work visa once you get to Turkey. You can only get this from your home country. If they try to tell you somwthing different, they are lying. Remember that a lot of language schools will tell you anything just to get you there, knowing that if you travelled a long way just for that job, you aren't likely to leave even if they lied to you. Run away! And you should tell us all what language school this is, so we can also avoid it in the future.
richard ame

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:39 am    Post subject: Don't run away Reply with quote

Hi Leila

A lot of what the previous post said is correct especially relating to the work permit which should be applied for from your nearest consulate /embassy,the name of your prospective employer should be held up for all to see and examine under the most powerful of electronic microscopes so that everyone as well as all and sundry can see what a bunch of wankers they are ,don't run away if this is the place you want to be there are too many places who will do right for you,but not many I hasten to add in Istanbul,try Izmir they are a little more friendly and its a small enough place to find your way round .
Leila2003

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:56 am    Post subject: 500$ work permit??? Reply with quote

Hi there all.....thank you for the advice but it is not a language school....instead it is a private school....with a KG, Intermediate and High school section.....they are based in Tarabya....can you tell me if they actually exist???? I have seen their website and it looks extremely professional....PLZZZZZZZZZZ I really need to know soon since I have to either accept the offer or let them know that I am not interested.....I hope you can help me ....I cannot teach at a language school....I enjoy teaching at schools....plzz any help will be appreciated...thanks a million!!
El Gordo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume this is the same school in Tarabya about which you asked in a previous post. It does indeed exist - I have often seen its minibuses dropping off students in the Sariyer / Maslak areas in the afternoon - but I have no idea whether or not it enjoys a good reputation locally.

One possibility is that they might have had problems in the past with native speakers who signed a contract and then failed to turn up. I know that this is a great problem for many schools, not just in Turkey. The USD 500 might then be a sort of guarantee, which they will repay on your arrival. If this is the case they should at least be honest about it and not claim that is for a work permit.

If I were in your position I certainly would not pay them the USD 500. I suggest you make clear to them your reservations and if they insist on the money, look elsewhere.
Leila2003

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 10:06 am    Post subject: Paying for a work permit Reply with quote

Hi ElGordo

Thanks for the advice....the personnel officer actually called me over the weekend and asked me to compete the forms and "requirements" as sonn as possible....I have emailed the school and told them of my reservations....I have also asked them to give me email addresses of current or previous teachers...so I will wait and see.....I really appreciate all your help....

Quote:
I have taught in seven different schools in Turkey

Can you give some indication as to the expected salary?? What about a school called AR-EL?? any info??

Please if you by any remote chance happen to know of anyone who teaches or taught at Ozel Cent kolej...I would appreciate any info....I will be in turkey in mid-July anyway, once I complete my contract here in Saudi....I however don't have much time since I need to sign te contract so that I can obtain the visa in my country of origin....plzzz help!!! I don't want to get to Turkey and find I have to leave again...P.S. I only get a 30 day visa at a time...not the three months that most Brits and Americans get...

once again thanks for any info...
El Gordo

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Ar-El, etc. Reply with quote

I had an interview at Ar-El Koleji in the spring of 2001. While it passed all my 'tests' as regards class allocation (they agreed to give me primary classes only), number of lessons per week with each class (four or six, depending on the class), grade-books (I would set exams and give grades), and salary (USD 1100, paid in dollars), it failed on the accommodation: dark, dirty and depressing, with no furniture at all in either the living-room or the large bedroom. They must have been expecting me to live in the small bedroom, which was equipped with a bed, table and one chair. I declined their offer.

The school itself is situated in Yenibosna, a none-too-pretty area quite near the airport. If you like trees, parks and wide-open spaces, forget it! It is a mixture of industrial estates and drab apartment blocks, and although it is in an elevated positon the only view you have is of ... more industrial estates and drab apartment blocks.

The school accommodation is only about 100 metres from the school, and there are plenty of small grocery shops in the neighbourhood. The nearest large supermarkets are in Atak�y and Bakirk�y, reachable by direct frequent bus service.

Regarding salary in Istanbul, I would say that USD 1250 would be a reasonable figure to keep in your head, but be prepared to accept a bit less if the school is to your liking otherwise.

You really should try to obtain the work visa before travelling to Turkey, but there is nothing to stop you applying for it before you go, then enter Turkey on a tourist visa and return to your home country to pick up the work visa when it is ready - although since your tourist visa will only be valid for one month you will not have much time to play with.

It was a good idea of yours to request contact details for current teachers. If the school is reluctant to supply these you should ask yourself why.

I hope everything works out for you and that you'll find the job you're looking for.
amber

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Leila's conundrum is mine too Reply with quote

Seems like we have been visiting the same websites and viewing the same job offers. The ad for the school in Istanbul for large American $ with the website in Turkish only also caught my eye. I applied and within one week also had a job offer. However, they also asked for $500 US to process the visa.

How did the school react when you told them of your reservations? I'm undecided whether to question them myself or to just disregard the offer altogether. I'd love to work in Turkey for a year but don't want to get ripped off.

How much money could one save while teaching in Turkey for one year?
Mike_2003

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about that school in particular, but in answer to your second question about saving, it is possible to save a little in Turkey. The basics (rent, electricity, water, aidat etc) set me back about $500-600 a month. You need to add food and other day-to-day expenses onto that, but with most teaching jobs coming in around the $1000+ mark, you could save a little. It's never going to be one of those places where you could work a year and come back rich, but depending on your lifestyle you could put away enough for something nice come the end of the year.
Leila2003

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 4:33 am    Post subject: Paying for work permit?? Reply with quote

Well, I sent my reservations to the school, and as usual they came up with a plausible explanantion and gave me an address of one of their current teachers ..(I am awaiting a reply)....the recruitment officer is a Mr.Daniel and he seems a bit "rough". I spoke to him and he si not one of the most subtle people....anyway the other reservation I have is that since then they have forwarded a letter of intent, and then a contract. However, the problem is that the letterheads both have the same address, telephone and fax numbers BUT THE NAMES ARE DIFFERENT!!!

I have forwarded a message to the Director and hope to hear from them soon.

Will keep everyone posted...
amber

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Daniel Dick Reply with quote

It is the same school and administrator! How many teaching positions do they have or do they fish until they get a bite? Did you not think that this job was too good to be true, paying 3X the amount of most other Turkey teaching positions? I have yet to send my application and regardless, I haven't the administration fees required to process my papers. I haven't received my package from the school with teaching contract etc. either. In the meantime, I have contacted another school and am awaiting an interview. Please keep me posted on this mysterious job offer and I'll let you know of any developments on my end.

Where are you in the ME? Teaching in the ME was my first choice but I'm not male nor do I have a Masters - both of which seem to be required to get these high paying TESL jobs. I'm probably better off not teaching in the ME anyway. How are you finding it?
amber

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that the last name of the administrator was "beeped" in my last note. It was not a derogatory comment on his character but perhaps his last name was bleeped in order to preserve some privacy for the man. Aside from my congratulatory letter from him, I have not had any contact from him so cannot comment on his character.

Thank you Mike for your note on possible savings in Turkey. I had not noticed your response until I saw mine up on the discussion board. I keep seeing suggestions to teach in Japan for saving $ but I've already done the Korea thing and have always wanted to visit Turkey.

Has anyone worked for IH Istanbul or Istek Foundation?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: