Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Overseas Medical Check----Z Visa
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lemak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For future reference, the health check done according to the Chinese Embassy form costs $110 at Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok. They'll send you to various locations all over the hospital to do the different tests, but it's very straightforward and everyone speaks English. By the time you've completed everything they'll have already gotten the results for all the previous bloodwork, xrays, EKGs etc. and have them waiting for you. Allow 2 hours from entrance to exit with completed form in hand.
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my final word on Hep C and residency:

Two months ago I underwent the overseas medical and turned up C+ as I knew I would. Liver function normal however. Got my Z Visa without a hitch. No one said a word.

Arriving in China, OF COURSE I had to undergo the whole medical check again (about 700 RMB reimbursed) and the same thing. The conclusion on the report was 'physically fit to work in China' and finally, after a three month process in total, I got my residency permit last week. Again, no one said anything.

It seems that Hep C is a complete non-issue. Mind you, I don't drink and my liver has been healthy and normal in the 20 years I've had it, which is not unusual with this virus. I can't say about B, but I would imagine it a non-issue as well. It was my impression during the whole 10-hoop circus that China is lenient (it doesn't hurt that your school is backing you) on immigration, but confoundedly strict on protocol.

My conclusion is that probably the only things that will get you rejected are HIV +, TB, active hepatitis, or feebleness and bad health in general. There are a lot of things on the test and doing poorly on some of them doesn't mean you'll be rejected. The whole regime could just be to procure more rice for the coffers.

I admit to having been a bit nervous about the physical and could find very little info on others' experiences. If you are Hep C plus but are otherwise healthy, you needn't be. No one here seems to care. : )
tommysand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Costs of exam in UK Reply with quote

Hi all,

Could anyone from the UK share their recent experiences of the costs of getting the exam done? I've just spoke to my Doctor, he is unsure until he sees the form but thinks the tests will come to around �250-�300. This is a lot more than I was bargaining for! I'm based just outside London, but happy to travel elsewhere if I can get what I need done cheaper.

Cheers,
Thomas
dean_a_jones

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I came over I only had the blood tests done and the general information on the front filled in. For the X-ray etc. I told my doctor I would be doing it all again and he wrote something like 'no problem'. They are much cheaper to be done in China, so I would suggest trying the same thing. The blood tests seem most important (with the results attached) and as long as the rest of the form has something filled in (like 'no problem' or 'ok') then it should be fine for the visa.
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dean_a_jones wrote:
When I came over I only had the blood tests done and the general information on the front filled in. For the X-ray etc. I told my doctor I would be doing it all again and he wrote something like 'no problem'. They are much cheaper to be done in China, so I would suggest trying the same thing. The blood tests seem most important (with the results attached) and as long as the rest of the form has something filled in (like 'no problem' or 'ok') then it should be fine for the visa.

Depends on both the Consulate and who in immigration. I had absolutely no choice if I wanted my documents. The first medical in Japan cost me about $300 USD. The one in China was $110. About $400 USD altogether though my school reimbursed me for the $110.
tommysand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dean_a_jones wrote:

Cheers for that info. Tried getting them to drop the VISA requirement but they were adamant that it was necessary. Where where you teaching? I'll be in Chongqing, I'm guessing that different provinces interpret the law differently.
tommysand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluetortilla wrote:
dean_a_jones wrote:

Depends on both the Consulate and who in immigration. I had absolutely no choice if I wanted my documents. The first medical in Japan cost me about $300 USD. The one in China was $110. About $400 USD altogether though my school reimbursed me for the $110.

I haven't found anywhere that will do for less than �370 in London! Ouch!
dean_a_jones

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's crazy. Are you going via your GP or going to a private travel clinic or something. As I said I skipped some of the tests but I am pretty certain I hardly paid anything for the blood test (via my GP, but done at a hospital) and a nominal fee for the form to be filled in. I remember I had to pay for a couple of the vaccines I wanted but they were only 20 quid a pop or something, again via my GP in London.

Blue tortilla--did you actually submit your x-ray scans?

Also, someone else indicated in another thread that the China visa service people in the UK don't care so much about your medical tests, but that the provincial government in China might, and may need to see a scanned copy of the form and blood test results before they will issue the paperwork needed to apply for the visa. Not sure how reliable this information actually is.
tommysand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dean_a_jones wrote:
That's crazy. Are you going via your GP or going to a private travel clinic or something. As I said I skipped some of the tests but I am pretty certain I hardly paid anything for the blood test (via my GP, but done at a hospital) and a nominal fee for the form to be filled in. I remember I had to pay for a couple of the vaccines I wanted but they were only 20 quid a pop or something, again via my GP in London.

Blue tortilla--did you actually submit your x-ray scans?

Also, someone else indicated in another thread that the China visa service people in the UK don't care so much about your medical tests, but that the provincial government in China might, and may need to see a scanned copy of the form and blood test results before they will issue the paperwork needed to apply for the visa. Not sure how reliable this information actually is.

I went to my GP initially, but he referred me to a private practitioner as it couldn't be done on the NHS apparently as it was for employment not health reasons.

I think your right about the issue being with the different provincial governments. I tried to argue that it was unnecessary to get all the tests done as they would just be repeated when I arrived in China, but my employer responded that in Chongqing it is a necessity before they issue an invitation letter. My friend who was teaching last year in Hubei did no tests whatsoever before arriving.
Opiate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommysand wrote:

I think your right about the issue being with the different provincial governments.

He is certainly right. There are few laws/regulations that are applied uniformly. Same applies to schools. They may want to see the results for whatever reason before submitting paperwork on your behalf. If you do it, it is your expense and your headache. If they wait...it is theirs.
Gringo Greg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not correct to say that a medical check done outside of China will HAVE to be repeated in China.

I got my medical exam done in the US before I came to China. I fully expected them to require me to have it redone but they didn't. The same for my wife. Our US medical exams were accepted here in China for our residence permit.
lemak

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grrr. Boss wants to extend my 6 month contract this week by another 12. Guess what? Another health check. The *fourth (!)* in 5 and a half months - Is that a forum record...? Once in Korea in December, once in Thailand in January, once in China in February, and now they want again.
At what point between off chance of shite, dodgy needles, dirty doctors and repeated radiation from the chest x-rays do these health checks become more of a health risk than a benefit, I wonder?
Lord Bafford

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only had to do the medial check-up in China. I guess it's pot luck.
GeminiTiger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

--edit-- ops-- i'm replying to a post that has been answered..
your medical check isn't valid in china for the final resident permit. (usually)
the schools make you get a medical check so they can 'invite you' and get the invitation letter sent to you.
the odd thing is chinese don't trust foreign hospital results, after all they could be corrupted! (it's also a money maker on the mainland i guess?)
so, once you arrive your likely going to have to take a local medical test.
the good news is chinese medical test is basically safe and harmless.
also you won't likely need to pay for that.
so save your money and just get the form filled in quick and dirty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nkengaola

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The medical check seems to be completely random. I got my invitation letter, etc. without a check at all. The school asked me to complete the medical form that is on the San Francisco Chinese Consulate website myself, no doctor visit necessary. The consulate took all of my visa paperwork, and handed me back the medical form, barely glancing at it. I picked up my visa the next day.

Once I arrived in Chongqing, of course, I had to do everything, but it was paid for by the school and only took a morning.

Maybe it depends on the embassy/consulate you go to?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 18 of 24

Jump to: