Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where do professionals go?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Where do professionals go? Reply with quote

I have been looking for work abroad for some time now and I am wondering if anyone has suggestions of where to look next.

Just to provide some background information: I will complete a MA-TESOL in july, I have a TESOL certificate, two years experience at two US universities, and one year experience at an American School in Mexico.

Up until this point I thought I was on the right track, but it seems that the more I look the less I find in terms of "real" jobs. Part of the problem, I suspect, is that I am no longer willing to settle for a job that will not afford me a comfortable existance. Please don't get me wrong, I did not go into this field to get rich, nor am I looking to go abroad and live as I do in the states. I think I have a realistic idea of what I can expect considering my level of education and experience, but as of yet I have come up empty. I cannot escape the feeling that most of the jobs I find are intended for travelers with little or no training. So, where do professionals in the field of TESOL find work abroad? If anyone has had similar experiences or any suggestions I would love to hear about it (even if it is just to know that I am not wasting my time in grad. school Confused ).
Sherri

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I think you are on the right track. I am not sure where you have in mind to go and find work. "Abroad" is a big place. Every country is different. Do you belong to any professional TEFL organizations? Have you been to any conferences? I think this is a good way to start networking and making contacts. Most conferences also have a job/career section for teachers looking for work. I am in Japan and the group most professional teachers belong to is JALT (http://jalt.org/) There is a big conference every year in November and several smaller ones through the year.

You need to start doing research on different countries and figure out where you want to go and also where you CAN go in terms of visa and work permit requirements. Join a professional organization and start your job hunt.
Roger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you are applying home rules to the world at large. If you crave job stability - I don't know if you get that in your country but I had that where I come from - then a rocky road lies ahead! Here, you are most of the time a contract worker. Do you want to go for this? How about old-age provisions? Medical care? Family life?

Teaching abroad is seldom rewarding financially, it is for the intrepid and the adventurer.
I suggest you think carefully about your long-term intentions. If you want to return and start from zero again, can you afford this?
On the other hand, you may end up living here longer than first intended. Although costs of living are as of now lower, they keep increasing and may eventually overpass the costs in your home country. Buy a property in Asia and you will see what I mean (provided you find one that is legally available to non-nationals)!
If you are in your twenties, you can perhaps still count on your parents to take care of you in case you have to beat a retreat.
In any case, keep a tidy sum of funds in a safe investment or a bank account for the worst. Whatever that may be in your case!
Good luck
Roger
Drea

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify a few things:

I realize I was a bit libral with the term "abroad" and that is mostly due to the fact that I am trying to keep my options open. I am a member of TESOL as well as the local affiliate here and although I have been investigating what they have to offer in terms of career advice I have not found much. I really want to go to the anual TESOL conference but I simply can't afford it. I have been to a few local conferences and even presented in one but there was no help with career placement. As for the standard of living in some countries I am well aware of the drawbacks since I lived in Mexico and had a very hard time getting settled at first. I guess I just felt like I may be missing something since I had been under the impression that a MA would help me find a better job. When I first started I only had a BA and TESOL certification so when I showed up in Mexico with a few bucks and not much else I had a serious wake up call. Although I would not change any of the experiences that I had there (some of which were life threatening) I also do not necessarily want to repeat the same mistakes. Thanks for the advice and reassurance. I guess I will just keep forging ahead Laughing .
Anda

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 4:05 am    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

You will have a problem if you expect that you are going to earn a fortune in reguard to U.S. wages in a poor country. Vietnam is one country that pays English teachers a lot more than a local person can usually earn. Korea pays okay but an experianced public school teacher can make about 50% more than a foreign teacher gets paid doing the same job at the same school.
Some people work for years in South American countries teaching English for very little. If only money makes you happy perhaps bank robbery is the go but don't get caught!
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 6:27 am    Post subject: teaching and the almighty dollar Reply with quote

Seriously consider working in the Middle East. Salaries are not always as huge as people think BUT you can generally support a reasonable lifestyle, feed, clothe and edcuate dependants, and save for old age.

With the clouds of war looming this may not be the best time but think about and at least explore thgat option.
chuckie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Drea,
A thorny problem at best. My experience has been that most professionally oriented people head to the Middle East. Especially if they have children or family to be concerned about. Otherwise, Japan and Korea - and for some Europe - may fit the bill.
You are right however, that your MATESOL will not always screen you into better jobs than just a BA/BS. But, it will open many more doors and give an advantage almost everytime.
I too, have a set idea about standard of living and finances - I'm 50+ now and because of a long absence from the USA will have only a small social security check. So, I must pay attention. However, this profession has allowed my wife and me to invest carefully in real estate to the point where we SHOULD (!?) be able to have a comfy old age. Not rich, but comfy.
I would confirm previous comments. It is a year-to-year contract type lifestyle - however, I like that. You will have to be much more responsible for your financial planning (no automatic 401k stuff) - but then you will see the world and often have lots of vacation time compared to your peers back home.
A lot of the world requires much more networking and
connections-oriented activity than back home. So, you are right, the first jobs and contacts may well be quite disappointing, but once in most countries for a year or so - signficantly greater opportunity will open up to those who are well-qualified and professional.
Drea

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you chuckie. Your experience lends me great comfort. A few things have turned up since my last posting and with the addition of your words of wisdom I feel much better Very Happy . Everything you spoke of makes sense to me and like I said, I am not looking to get monetarily rich but rather experience rich. Thanks again for the encouragement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: