Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AHHH..A year in Mexico or Asia??????? What would you do?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taurus

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: AHHH..A year in Mexico or Asia??????? What would you do? Reply with quote

Hello. I am an experienced and qualified Canadian ESL teacher who is looking to teach and travel abroad this August/September. I have lived in Brazil and Venezuela and both experiences were awesome. My objective this time is to experience somewhere new but to also come home with some money I have sent resumes to 3 continents, Asia, Europe and Latin America. Europe is out as most good jobs require a Euopean passport. China was my first choice in Asia as when compared to the other countries, it is the least explored and has the least amount of Esl teachers but the problem there is that most decent salaries seem to be in overpopulated, polluted cities like Shanghai and Guanghou. Everyone and their grandma seems to be going to Taiwan but I hear that Taipei is a concrete, polluted city and given my qualifications, I worry that I will just be another foreign teacher lost in the crowd.

To my surprise and to add to the confusion, I am in the process of being interviewed for the opportunity to teach in Guardalajara, Mexico making an excellent monthly salary (almost the same as I get here working for a school board) at a private school. My past expereinces in South AMerica were awesome and I always said that if the salary was good, I would have to consider returning. I love the Latin culture and would be able to continue to improve my Spanish and make useful contacts for the future, but my problem is I have already been to Latin America and feel like I should go to Asia for a new experience. At the same time I think that the Asia I imagine in my head will not be the reality. I imagine waking up at sunset to Thai Chi on the side of a mountain and having a spiritual buddihist experience. In reality I will probally be in a big, crowded, concrete jungle, devoid of nature. I wonder if Asia is a great place to explore and travel through, but not so great to live.?

SOrry to blab on and on. If anyone has any insight or personal experiences to help me decide it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

[email protected]
Gringo Greg

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Thailand, been here for too long. Worked in Mexico and i had a blast. Go to Mexico if you want a great experience, go to Asia if you just want to experience something new. For a year gig, I would be torn between the two. If I was looking for something more long term, I would say Mexico...

Try to picture yourself 3 years from now and what you want to be doing. If I was in your shoes, I would prolly jump at Asia but end up regretting it. You won't pick up the language in a year, you will be ostracized from the locals and you will generally feel like enough is enough. Most can handle that for a year and come away with a lot of good experiences, can you?
woodersn

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see why you're torn...! But since you asked what I'd do, I'd prolly end up choosing Mexico... simply because you mentioned your desire to solidify your language skills (i.e. Spanish), which is a desire I share.

But you will have to pick - I believe the Far East will certainly be a more complete change of experience considering your time already spent in Latin culture.

Good luck!

-Wood
MELEE

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmm,

you didn't say exactly how long you're planning on being abroad. I think that makes a big difference. In Mexico there could be a lot of start up costs depending on if you have to pay for your visa and if you move into an unfurnished apartment (in a country where unfurnished means completely empty). But if your thinking that you might be here 2-3 years rather than just one, I think Mexico would be worth it. Don't assume that just because it's Latin America that it won't be new and probably surpisingly different in may ways from Brazil and Venezuela.

On the other hand, I spent a year and half in Japan---AND I LOVED IT. I didn't have any idea what life in Japan would be like and only had 3 weeks between deciding to go and my arrival in Japan to prepare. I was just outside of Osaka, and yes the city was in many ways an insane concrete jungle--but in an facinating and wonderful way. But it was a quick train trip to the countryside and the fabulous mountain-side temples you dream of. I may never go back to Asia--I'm settled here now, but I wouldn't trade that year and a half for anything.

Boy, I bet that doesn't help at all does it? Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: