Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cusco Altitude sickness and other issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Cusco Altitude sickness and other issues Reply with quote

I write this because I'm no longer a young backpacker (I was in the 70's).
I'm going somewhere to retire/teach and stay. can't just float around the world like I used to. So these are research questions.
Anyone get alt sickness? Does it cause breathing difficulties? I'm used to living 300 ft above sea level. Cusco is 11,000 ft asl. I can remember getting headaches at 6,000 ft.
Raymundo said "Gringos get sick in Cusco"
I guess food/water sickness is just part of travelling to countries in LA etc although I didnt get sick in Mexico. I only drank coke or wine and ate in the good restaurants.
Your comments about getting sick are greatly appreciated. I have diabetes and that's already two strikes in the ninth inning.
I'd hate to sign a contract in a place where I couldnt live.
Thanks
cgage
MNguy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are prone to alt sickness, it will go away in about a week or so anyway. Don't drink the tap water or eat anything made / washed in it.
TOMASB

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lived in Cusco since September2011. My age is 63. During this time, I have had stomach and flu issues three times and several colds related to thin air, cold night weather and/or rain, and high altitude pollution. Prior to living in Cusco, I lived in the western US and was probably sick a half dozen times in 30 years.

I am careful where I eat, what I drink, and hygeine in general but it does not seem to matter here. I think this is one reason gringos don't stay here more than a year or so. It is the price you have to pay to live here. Unless my health issues improve, it is difficult to envision living here for a concerted length of time. It would be in my estimation a very tough place to retire.
cgage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tomas.That is extremely useful information since I need to pick somewhere that I can stay. I'll look in to Trujillo.
Dee35

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Cusco for 6 months and I honestly do not know why I got sick as often as I did. Usually, I am a very healthy person but I there were times that i was sick from all angles... [please don't make me be more graphic]. It wasn't a daily thing, but I just expected to be sick about once a month. My workplace, MN, had a great policy about this. They hired 'floaters'to cover these inevitable problems.
I never drank tap water. I followed all the guidlines [and the few times I did eat street food, I didn't get sick...that is just a gamble]... drink lots of coca tea and take it easy the first weeks. Cusco is a beautiful place and worth the inconveniences [in my opinion]... I met wonderful people [gringos and locals] and would def recomend it [just bring along your favorite western meds bcos it gets a bit expenisve in Cusco- at first you don't realize it, but after a couple of months.... a sole = a USD, seriously... ! but yeah, maybe consider other places or at least try it out first. good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: