Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yasar University Izmir, don't do it!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lanterne Rouge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, I use the term falsehoods bcs they are false. Both myself and Burdik have picked up multiple inaccuracies. You have not challenged a single one of our corrections because you know you cannot. May be you worked here a while ago. You should be clear then that your opinions are based on information that is out of date. I have not addressed any opinions just inaccuracies posted as "facts" and I have done so to correct the balance. There is no benefit to me for doing it but it is the right thing to do. You are right, it is possible to move depts in Yasar but at the end of the day people on this board are interested in the Prep Class and it is what I know about. It is fair they should get information given in good faith.

I don't feel attacked or belittled! I was a litigation lawyer for 10 years so it will take a bit more than this to get to me. As you suggest, let's leave it to the readers to decide. I trust their reading comprehension skills will give them a full understanding of the situation. I note you have given up trying to denigrate the CEA...wise move on your part. If people need to know the improvements that have been made in the Prep Class in recent years, they need look no further than it. So unless you want to debate something specific and material, we should bow out gracefully.
ossie39

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Yasar University don't do it Reply with quote

Fine with me Quincy Jones. Readers will be bright enough to decide. Very Happy
Lanterne Rouge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok that one really came out of left field Very Happy Quincy Jones the record producer?? Or Dr Quincy the investigative medical doctor of hit 70s TV series fame?? Or is there another famous lawyer turned teacher called Quincy? I can only assume you have resorted to using the Chewbacca Defence tactic. Nice work!
ossie39

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Yasar University don't do it Reply with quote

I'll sing Quincy Jones's praises and you can sing the praises of Yasar! Razz
burdik

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah so its that time of the year again lol Smile
paul2key

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Yasar 2012 Reply with quote

Burdick & Rouge - I met a super nice guy from Yasar last week in Philadelphia. I feel the interview went well, and I'm hopeful that I'll get an offer in the next week or two. I always take the negative on these blogs with a cup of salt. Two questions: what do you love MOST about working there? Are the native-English teachers working there now as annoying as the dopes who blog on here?

Last edited by paul2key on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total
paul2key

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: CEA Reply with quote

Ossie clearly shows his ignorance on his NOT knowing CEA. It was a significant selling point when I learned Yasar has CEA accreditation. CEA is the most important ESL "seal of approval." A disorganized dump would not get this. Congratulations, Yasar!
burdik

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul

It is work, so love might be too strong a term lol, but I am really happy with the people I work with and the working environment in general. Not in a constant rush. The native-English speaking teachers are very nice actually, with the exception of, say, Lantern-Rouge maybe Smile Nah, he's a good friend of mine.

Good luck with the offer and maybe meet soon.
burdik

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, the guy you met in Philadelphia, Engin, is the manager, who obviously is part of the administration and who -according to one user in this very thread - I quote "can hardly speak English". Just thought it might give you a better understanding of why I get mad at some of the stuff posted here about Yasar.
paul2key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: OOOps ENGIN - pardon the spelling Reply with quote

Burak-

Engin's English was perhaps the best of the 5 or so non-native speakers I interviewed with in Philadelphia. He clearly understood my English, my subtle (and no so subtle) American references, and all my concerns. Also, he was well-prepared for my interview having carefully read my CV before the interview with specific questions. I truly hope to get an offer from him. Thanks for your reply and insight.

Last edited by paul2key on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Lanterne Rouge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul

The native-speaking teachers are just normal, hard-working EFL teachers that you will find in any teaching setting. They are all pretty pleasant and I have never had a problem with any of them (I am one myself).

As for what I love about my job, well that's a big statement! But I can say that I greatly appreciate the freedom and lack of management intrusion into what happens in my classes. I also like the support I get to do new things. We always struggle to get money to do exciting stuff but some way or another, we do seem to be able to organise some really successful events by getting sponsorship etc and the management really put a lot of effort into cutting through the bureacracy that blights Turkey so that we can do things.

There is a good working atmosphere and even though we all have our whines about various issues, the fun had around the lunch tables is testament that most of us get on together pretty well. That is a big plus point for the place. Turkey isn't always the easiest place to work but Yaşar is a pretty good place to be these days.
paul2key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Thanks, Lantern Rouge Reply with quote

Thanks for the info - very helpful. One last question: how many Brits, Canadians, Americans, Aussies are there? I see you used the word "organise," I love working with Brits - but too many can be confusing if I have to use a "lift" or when something is "bloody." WHen I taught in Southeast Asia I was surprised about how many people said they wanted a "fag." "Not that there's anything wrong with that" (Seinfeld)
Lanterne Rouge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 Brits (2 from England and a Scot), 1 Canadian, 7 Yanks....I think that's it...apologies to any I forgot!

As a fitness freak, no lifts or fags for me Smile))
ossie39

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lanterne, you say there is no money for resources from this private uni., I had a few ideas. Could you do a car boot sale? Ensign doesn't need the language books anymore and has mastered man (and woman) management. Maybe the teachers could do a sponsored student car wash? 'Blue Peter' (remember the kids programme) have great suggestions for making things so then you can raffle it on. Maybe it's on 'BBC Bitesize' or CBBC. Bingo could be good or the Yasar Kofte Eating Contest (might be a money spinner). You sound a resourceful fellow and I bet you have great ideas to share.

Paul2key is obviously taken with 'Ensign' and 'Barak', they made a big impression on him. Any relation to Mubarak? Poor Eng was probably knocked over backwards having somebody to interview, let alone a native speaker!!! Paulturkey, sorry (I am a fool), Paul2kin, you may be in for culture shock with so many native English speakers around. Let's hope you can comprehend the Glaswegian. Just because I didn't know CNN don't mean I'm a loser. "Where there's tea there's hope!" Very Happy
burdik

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha thumbs up for the seinfeld referance Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: