Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Could the WSI have blacklisted me?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Could the WSI have blacklisted me? Reply with quote

OK, I know that the ubiquitous Wall Street Institute is a school with a mixed reputation, but when I started out (before I had any experience) I had two interviews from abroad for advertised positions. (For Indonesia, where I was a finalist, and Russia, where I only made it to the first interview.) Any rate, I was impressed by the professionalism of the interviewers, and anywhere I've considered working, I've dropped off my resume.

It started with Hong Kong; after having obtained some experience and being told by a teacher at one of their branches there that they were looking for teachers, I dropped off my resume on prospect. After being told by another expat in Istanbul that the WSI was looking (which the receptionist confirmed), I dropped off my resume there too. Then, simply because I applied to almost every language school in Izmir, I did the same.

Though I suppose I shouldn't really care�there are plenty of fish in the sea�I can't help but wonder if my persistence has somehow gotten me blacklisted. It's possible of course that I was mislead about HK and Istanbul and they just weren't looking, but still I wonder; because if I did get myself blacklisted, it's something to keep in mind when applying in the future to international schools. Do schools blacklist for vexatious applicants?

Thanks and regards,
~Q
johntpartee

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can't help but wonder if my persistence has somehow gotten me blacklisted

I can't imagine that persistence would get you blacklisted. I'm a little confused, actually. How on earth could "persistence" get anybody blacklisted?
BenE

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's unlikely. There are many teachers that do a lot worse than that. I know blacklists do exist for certain organisations such as IH but they are more reserved for the teachers that cause problems while working for them.
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also guess its unlikely. If they are as professional and sought after as you suggest, maybe they have a lot of candidates and for any number of reasons ... you didnt make the grade (at that time/against that competition).
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

~Q
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Could the WSI have blacklisted me? Reply with quote

Qaaolchoura wrote:
....anywhere I've considered working, I've dropped off my resume.

You actually went to those countries and visited those schools to physically drop off your resume? Why didn't you tell the receptionist "You're not going to believe this but I've just flown in from ____ because I had to see for myself the amazing potential this school has. You see, here's my ticket."
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Could the WSI have blacklisted me? Reply with quote

LongShiKong wrote:
Qaaolchoura wrote:
....anywhere I've considered working, I've dropped off my resume.

You actually went to those countries and visited those schools to physically drop off your resume? Why didn't you tell the receptionist "You're not going to believe this but I've just flown in from ____ because I had to see for myself the amazing potential this school has. You see, here's my ticket."

I wrote a ton about my actual reasons for being in those countries, then I realized what you were actually saying. Embarassed That said, it's not a bad idea to visit places you're seriously thinking about working, unless it's a case like Russia or Saudi Arabia where you don't really have that option.

And that's an interesting idea. I'll have to try it next time I visit a new country.

~Q
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: