Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding work without a degree, but with a CELTA
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OliverN

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski, thank you for an honest answer.

I don't have the money to invest in a degree at present.

My post sounds desperate, because I want to sort my life out, and I know

this won't be easy, as I don't have a degree.

I appreciate that due to the lack of a degree, certain doors are closed to me,

hence I am looking at the doors which are open or a jar to me.

I fully intend to start a degree, In the future I might be able to afford it, in

terms of time and money, but this is not certain and rather than going back

to my previous career, I want to move forward in ELT.

I am looking for at least a years experience, where I can

develop my skills, and be involved in something I feel is both positive and

meaningful.

I hope to be with a school that follows IELTS , so that my experience and

developed skills are recognised.

I am grateful for all your feedback.
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill second Spiral and suggest looking in the EU. Dont expect to get rich by any means, and wages are likely to be poor...but you should hopefully get the meaningful and useful experience.

China isnt the place to get good quality experience generally. Teaching standards, support, mentoring and expectations are often low meaning you may not actually learn too much of use. Of course there are exceptions to this but generally China experience isnt too well regarded elsewhere in the TEFL world. Also, you would be working kind of illegally here (Im in China) as a degree is required for a 100% legit visa. There are workarounds, and Ive experienced that myself when I was degree-less and studying via distance learning. Id hesitate to recommend that route though to be honest. China doesnt offer fantastic transferrable and valid teaching experience for many people, doesnt offer earth shattering wages, and the slight risk of working illegally etc just doesnt add up to me.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What skills/experience do you have to sell yourself? For example, where do you think you'd fit into an IELTS prep course?
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OliverN wrote:
I'm not sure if you have understood the thread, or it's purpose.

Saying, just get a degree, isn't helpful.

So to bottom line it for you then:

No degree = high school completion and a CELTA = NO legal work on a large part of the planet.
It also means you are competing with people who do have a degree for those entry level jobs in ESL.

Now what is left is work in the EU or the UK, some parts of Latin America and no place that will pay to get you there.

Pretty much your only option is to get a tourist visa for the corner of the planet you want to try to find work in, get an airplane ticket and head off into the vast unknown.

You better bring 2000-3000 quid with you to ensure that you will last until your first pay or have a way to get home if/when things don't work out for you.

Cheapest place to get to with the least amount of problems (visa and work wise) will be the EU. Your chances of making a go of it are questionable but it won't be too hard to get home again when you are done your adventure.

spiral78

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Cheapest place to get to with the least amount of problems (visa and work wise) will be the EU. Your chances of making a go of it are questionable but it won't be too hard to get home again when you are done your adventure.

As I've actually been working in Europe for over 14 years, my take on this is that ttompatz is being too harsh here.

As I've noted earlier in the thread, if you arrive in a country/city at a peak hiring time, and make sure to do everything you can to offset your lack of degree (demonstrating a high level of professionalism and reliabiity, and playing up any business experience you have), your chances should be quite decent.
I know a number of successful teachers in the region without first degrees, though many have later gone on to add qualifications after getting their feet wet in the field.

I wouldn't personally try to evaluate someone's chances in, say, Asia or Latin America, where I've never worked.

Quote:
Pretty much your only option is to get a tourist visa for the corner of the planet you want to try to find work in, get an airplane ticket and head off into the vast unknown.

Nor will you need a tourist visa. Good luck in Spain!
OliverN

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks that's inspiring!
337heaven

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spoken to some of my CELTA course tutors about this subject and they remain very positive, despite my lack of degree. I'm confident that my degree-less ass will benefit from mass emailing any and every prospect with a sniff of hope.

I will keep you posted, stay positive Cool
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa up there, 337heaven.

Basically, we've established that, if you have a passport from an EU member country, you're eligible and given good timing and a professional attitude, should be able to find something reasonable in continental Europe.

If you're not from the EU, you're limited to the 'new' EU countries: Czech Rep, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, etc.

The tactic you note above of mass emailing won't be likely to get you (or anyone else) anything on the continent.

Problem is that there are lots of teachers around ready to interview in person, and reputable schools have no need to take a chance on anyone sight-unseen. You would need to pick a city, come over at the end of August or early September, and apply in person to have much of a chance.

Europe, unlike Asia, does imply start-up costs. Employers here don't pay for airfare, and they won't likely provide paid-for housing. Count on having to get yourself here, to interview in person (and likely to do demo lessons) and to have to support yourself for a month or two at least.
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

337heaven wrote:
I have spoken to some of my CELTA course tutors about this subject and they remain very positive, despite my lack of degree. I'm confident that my degree-less ass will benefit from mass emailing any and every prospect with a sniff of hope.

I will keep you posted, stay positive Cool
Keep a positive outlook, but don't send form letters in that mass mailing. Employers/Recruiters can smell a shotgun approach a mile away. Customize each cover letter.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP:

Lack of a degree will hurt you, no doubt about that. EFL isn't going anywhere and the number of countries where one can legally teach without a degree just keeps getting smaller.

When I first looked into TEFL, Europe was wide-open for Americans, a number of countries in Asia didn't have a requirement of a degree for a work visa in place, and it just seemed much more open and easier (a much better global economy was to thank, in large part as far-fewer people with a degree were going abroad to teach EFL).

Now, in 2012, many doors have slammed shut, most countries want to see a degree (even if the schools could hire you, they won't risk running afoul of the immigration authorities even if you are the best teacher since IH started teacher training sessions back in the day).

Anyways, much of Latin America including Mexico are still open to those without a degree with dismal starvation salaries to match.

I would say you need a CELTA and about $5,000US to give it a go, so that is an almost $10,000US investment.
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
Anyways, much of Latin America including Mexico are still open to those without a degree with dismal starvation salaries to match.

Right!! Really sad but a true reality. Me and MANY that I know experienced this in Mexico City.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:

Right!! Really sad but a true reality. Me and MANY that I know experienced this in Mexico City.

Mexico pays enough to live on, not save anything...
337heaven

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's been informative to go through the process and officially secure a position in Korea. I have now been here for just over a month and all is well.

I decided to stay in England and apply to different employers via email... I had a few interviews until the right emplyer decided to assist with the application.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: